Lauter screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put me down for 2 keg sized ones. Do you think you could put me down for a 40"x40" along with the two standard sized ones?

Got a big boil kettle. Would you think wedge wire screen would work great separating whole hops in the BK?

I too would be interested next time around. I need a keg sized one. I too wonder if it would be an effect kettle screen. My kettle is 36" round though so if I went with a second screen it would have to be 3'X3'.

I'll pm you an email address that you can add to your list. And sorry to be a d!ck and ruin this for everyone else but I hope you're giving yourself a few bucks to cover your time. Maybe you should order a bunch and become a false bottom vendor here or see about working a deal with bargainfittings or another vendor.

Once I get these in and if everything checks out I'll look at putting another order together. Be forwarned that it will likely be more expensive as I'll have to pay shipping and customs etc . I could go on about how if you had one of these made in the US it would cost you $500 but that wouldnt make sense to do because no one in their right mind would pay that . More than likely it would end up closer to the $100 per screen price point plus shipping from me to you. Thats probably going to knock most of the guys off who want to order now. Only reason they are cheaper now is that this piggybacked on an order I had put together for work for cherry and blueberry processing screens.

can't wait to see pics, as of now I have no idea how this works, assembled photos would be great.

-=Jason=-

Pics Pics, where art thou pics?

-=Jason=-

Order a shipping container of stuff from China and you'll get a new appreciation of what your kids Christmas presents have to go through to get under the tree. I dont have the time to go through all the details of what Ive had to do so far but suffice to say all the hurdles have been cleared except a final trip through customs probably on Wednesday of this week. Suffice t say there have been a lot of overnight shipments and a lot of payments made to every middleman in the process.

thats crazy so those cheap ass prices on kegs and what not are to good to be true unless you are well connected and can get rather cheap shipping.

-=Jason=-

Ive got an heavy eqpt auction I have to attend wed/thurs. that just got dumped in my lap this morning and I'll probably not be able to go to Portland until Monday what with the Holiday on Friday but that looks like when I'll be able to pick these up.

Good news is that my boss is wanting to get a whole slew of screens for some of our other processing eqpt.

Starting to get really excited about getting the screen. I just ordered 2 chugger brewery pumps the other day. Getting close to finishing my brutus. Can't wait.

Almost got'em. Went to Portland today and customs would release them until I got everything processed through a customs broker even though there is absolutely no duty due on water screen from China. So I had to call my company and have a power of attorney sent over at a broker and i had to go back to my office and send the Invoice. Anyway it should be a few more days and assuming my company gets off its ass and gets the POA over to them tomorrow I'll head back on Thursday for pickup. If nothing else this has been a major learning experience in how import stuff operates.

Almost got'em. Went to Portland today and customs would release them until I got everything processed through a customs broker even though there is absolutely no duty due on water screen from China. So I had to call my company and have a power of attorney sent over at a broker and i had to go back to my office and send the Invoice. Anyway it should be a few more days and assuming my company gets off its ass and gets the POA over to them tomorrow I'll head back on Thursday for pickup. If nothing else this has been a major learning experience in how import stuff operates.
Hey Wired, just wantedto let you know that I really appriecate all of the effort you have put into making this available to us homebrewers. Thanks man!

I'll get some pics up when I get home tonight. I dropped it off at home on the way to my office. It's real nice . Its true wedge wire screen fusion welded to the supports just like you'd find in a hydrosieve or on the floor of a commercial brewery as their lauter screen.

If you purchased this stuff when I had the ad up before please contact me via my email at [email protected]. I can cut it to your dimensions for an additional $10 if you like which will be offset by the cheaper shipping cost to send a round piece in a a box. Otherwise I'd feel better about sending it sandwiched between tow layers of plywood to avoid damage and shipping costs will go up a bit. The guy who ordered a full sheet ...Its going to cost quite a bit to ship unless you want it sectioned.

Anyway I quit home brewing ( drinking actually ) so I have a 1/2 sheet for sale at $100 plus shipping raw or $100 shipped cut to your needs if anyone wants it.

I'll get some pics up when I get home tonight. I dropped it off at home on the way to my office. It's real nice . Its true wedge wire screen fusion welded to the supports just like you'd find in a hydrosieve or on the floor of a commercial brewery as their lauter screen.

If you purchased this stuff when I had the ad up before please contact me via my email at [email protected]. I can cut it to your dimensions for an additional $10 if you like which will be offset by the cheaper shipping cost to send a round piece in a a box. Otherwise I'd feel better about sending it sandwiched between tow layers of plywood to avoid damage and shipping costs will go up a bit. The guy who ordered a full sheet ...Its going to cost quite a bit to ship unless you want it sectioned.

Anyway I quit home brewing ( drinking actually ) so I have a 1/2 sheet for sale at $100 plus shipping raw or $100 shipped cut to your needs if anyone wants it.

By half a sheet do you mean 4'x4'? If so I'm interested.

The other part sold but heres what they look like in case I get another one together.. Neat stuff. Next order I get together I'll probably have them made a foot longer to be able to get 4qty 16 inch screens out of one.

cimg1519o.jpg

cimg1520e.jpg

cimg1521z.jpg

cimg1522z.jpg

I'd hate to be the poor bastard welding those up

-=Jason=-

They use a automated resistance welder. You should see the tubular screens I bought with this order. 12 foot long and 6 inches wide with coiled triangular wire on 36 center support wires. Very nicely made and bullet proof. They do good work.

So want some of these. Keep is posted of the next shipment

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Home Brew Talk

Heres the deal. It could take 6 months to never before we place another screen order at work. Theres no real pressing need now and it could take a while before we even install the ones we have just received in our process tanks.
If I can get 20 people to place paid orders for at least one 5 foot by 3 foot screen each at $200 a piece I'll order them and pay shipping, customs etc. A 3X5 screen will make many lauter screens and if your handy you'd be able to build enough lauter screens to sell off to pay for yours and theirs.

If this interests you and sounds like something you'd want to do email me at [email protected]. I wont do squat until I get 20 people interested and even at that point if I don't get 20 people pre paying I will refund any money sent to me. You can buy more than one if that is your thing. Don't get the wrong idea though. I'm not a scammer and I might make 20 bucks on each screen if that when all the bills are paid but it could take 3 months to get them here. These that I received today were in country a month ago but the freight company bungled the order so badly it took weeks after they were supposed to be in Portland for them actually to arrive. The screens themselves cost about $90 FOB China for that size but its getting them here that is the major pain in the ass but Ive been through it and after my last two wives I am incapable of feeling pain. Please keep in mind too that he normal retail markup on consumer goods imported from China is 400%. Think about that this Christmas :).

If anyone wants to order these directly I will be more than happy to provide contact information. Keep in mind that shipping costs will be the killer on small orders and there is a minimum order number.

To be honest I'll be surprised if I get to get 20 orders. This is as niche an item as there is.

Hopefully a vendor here will work with you and sell them out right.

Being very different than current screens it will have market appeal like the cam lock fittings and dudadiesel plate coolers that came on the scene couple of years ago.

Everybody will want them, sell their current screens and buy this one.

How heavy duty is that stuff? What do you think the best way to cut a circle out of that would be?

No way I can do the $200, but if you ever do another really cheap buy piggybacked off a company order, I'd love a rectangular piece for my cooler.

How heavy duty is that stuff? What do you think the best way to cut a circle out of that would be?

Its pretty heavy duty but you only cut one wire at a time. A die grinder with a cutoff wheel works just fine for this stuff. Its not like cutting perforated plate or flat stock. I'd scribe a circle with a divider over layout die and then cut to the outside of the circle then dress it up with a file or belt sander to get a perfect circle but theres any number of methods to get it to work.

No way I can do the $200, but if you ever do another really cheap buy piggybacked off a company order, I'd love a rectangular piece for my cooler.

I'll try to slip an order in but don't hold your breath. You might consider partnering up with someone If I make the order for 3X6 screens you could conceivably get 6 screens out of a sheet. I don't mind importing this stuff but I have no interest in importing material and cutting them to size and keeping a stock of items on hand for retail sale. Group buy of material is about as far as I'd want to go.

Latest posts

Back