later todays first all grain brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burning2nd

Reaction score
OK so later this after noon ill be doing my frist all grain.. Kinnda upset cause i order 2 of the wrong kits...

I like the kits with the specially grains. but i figure i guess nows a good time to work this out...

Ok so im doing octoberfest lager... useing the liquid yeaast wlp820 white labs

theres a few things i dont get..

first off i have a 6.5g ss brew kettle that i use for my boil...

but this time i got a massive bag of grain... its crushed and ready to use..
"the mash"???

strike water? is the water ill be boiling the grain in, in the bag on the stove top? 1.5 leter per lb of grain. and i have 13.6 lbs of grain... so this is going to be done in stages?
or should i use my large pot for this?
and the sparge????? this is a 2nd container of water thats allready heated that ill add the contents of the first container to? I feel really lost....

slowly collect the sweet wort? i saw that thread "eazy partial mash" and i really dont under stand...

someone wanna fill in the blanks for me? and maybe buy my other box of plisner.... lol

Well, hopefully you have another pot! You can catch the extra runnings in it, and fill up your pot as the runnings boil down. For a finished 5 gallon batch, I like to start with about 6.25 gallons of wort.

Ok. For the basics, what will you be mashing in? Do you have a couple of big grain bags, or something to hold the grain? You can't mash in your pot, unless you have a way to keep the grain separate from the liquid (water). You don't boil the grain. You soak the grain in water that is about 165 degrees, so that the entire mash, grain and liquid, is stirred very well and ends up at 154.

i have 3 pots... two of my wifes largest pots and my massive turkey frier pot..

Im not sure what im mashing in.. or what mashing is... but i have 2 large pots for mashing in i think.... and i have several nylon large bags... 24 by 12's i think ....

so i soak the grain in the bag in a pot at like 165 for an hour... then i add that fluid thats left over in to the wort.... so Im kindda makeing the liquid malt from the grain?

sorry to be such a noob at the all grain..

Picture3002828.jpg

Picture3002827.jpg

I'm doing my first AG today as well. Just to give you an idea of my setup.

4467103204_b9cc7874ca_o.jpg

I'm mashing in the orange cooler. The water will be heated in the kettle and pumped up into the cooler. Once it settles into the correct temp, I'll add the grain, stir, and let it sit for the appropriate time.

Then open the valve and let it drop back into the kettle for the boil. On my setup, I'll use the pump on the ground to recirculate until the grains in the cooler act as a filter and the wort runs clear.

Then, once I collect it back in the kettle and top off to my pre-boil volume, the boil proceeds as with all brews.

i think i might run out and get another pot

Well, you probably don't need another pot! There are two ways to go here. One is to make an MLT- most of use use a cooler (like an Igloo cooler) with something to make a false bottom. That way, you can put the hot water and grain in a cooler, stir it up, and separate the liquid from the grain by having the grain caught on the false bottom.

It's easy, but it might be easier to do that in a grain bag for right now. Your grain bags aren't big enough, though. You need several that can hold all of the grain, loosely, not tightly back.

If you're going to buy something anyway, I'd suggest going to the hardware store and buying 5 gallon paint strainer bags. You can put the grain in three or four paint strainer bags, and tie it up. Then, add 20 quarts of 165 degree water to a big, big pot and put the grain bags in there and stir very well, so that the whole grain is wet. It'll still be contained by the bags, though. Also, get a good thermometer, because you'll want to check the temperature of the grain and liquid, and be correct within one or two degrees. You'll be aiming for 154.

I highly recommend reading "howtobrew.com" right here: http://howtobrew.com/section3/index.html

nice.. same turkey cooker...

hmmm Im runing up to my mother and laws right now to get here largest stainless kettle

Ill mash on the stove top but then brew downstairs in the kettle...

You can do the whole thing in the pot you have. Heat strike water up and drop the grain bag in the pot, treat it like a tea bag. Try to hold the target temp and let it soak for up to an hour. Lift the grain bag out and place a collander over the pot. Heat some water for sparge in your small pot on the kitchen stove. Gently pour the sparge water over the grain bag and trhough the collander. Set the grain bag over in the empty sparge water pot and start your boil. Every so often pour the water that is seeping out of the grain back in your main pot.

I did it that way many times.

all right all right.. I just got my mother in laws large pot... witch is larger then both of my wifes... SO were going to do this.... (hop you guys arent doing much today cause ill be all over this today)

i have 3 large bags

You can do the whole thing in the pot you have. Heat strike water up and drop the grain bag in the pot, treat it like a tea bag. Try to hold the target temp and let it soak for up to an hour. Lift the grain bag out and place a collander over the pot. Heat some water for sparge in your small pot on the kitchen stove. Gently pour the sparge water over the grain bag and trhough the collander. Set the grain bag over in the empty sparge water pot and start your boil. Every so often pour the water that is seeping out of the grain back in your main pot.

I did it that way many times.

this kindda sounds like steeping but longer

the water that is left behind from the mash is being used as the malt and then added to the largest pot to boil in?

i think im over reading..... the mash and the sparge and the strike water are all just new words to me...

but its not called steeping... but im going to soak the grain at 156degree for an hour.. then place the water that the grains were soaking in in to the main pot for boil.

very good... didnt take a reading but the taste and smell are right on... was not what i thought it would be...

ill modifiy some equipment make my self a nice ton with all nice hose's and stuff do it this way from now on.

all grain just takes longer

Latest posts

Back