Late Extract addition at knockout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregoryShmegory

Reaction score
I like to use the late extract addition method to increase hop utilization and decrease wort caramelization because I have to do partial boils. Has anyone ever sampled with adding (liquid) extract right at knockout? If you just left the wort in the pot for 10 minutes before cooling would that eliminate any chance of contamination?

I'm making a Pale Ale with hop additions every 5 minutes, starting at 30 minutes. The time it takes to add the extract, then bring it back to a boil would interfere with this process. Thanks,

G

A pale ale or an IPA?!?!?!?

If you are concerned, could you somehow heat the LME seperately before you add it? Not necessarily to a boil but closer so that when added, it did not draw the temp of the wort down as much - maybe hold some water from the boil and use it to slightly dilute the LME.

Well, I just read back through your post and noticed you are doing partial boils... Why not boil the LME in the remaining (whatever is short of batch size) water and then chill and add to the fermenter seperately.

I always add my late extract addition at flame out. In Brewing Classic Styles, John Palmer recommends removing from heat, adding extract, and letting it stand for one minute before cooling. That's all that is necessary.

I also add my LME at flameout, stir, and then start cooling.

I recall a post on HBT about something similar in the past, with someone quoting the FDA time and temps required for pastuerization. Something less than 10 seconds at 160-170 degrees is all that is required for pasteurization, if I recall correctly. At any rate, you don't need 10 minutes! I hope I gave you some good key words for using search if you'd like to find those exact numbers.

That same post made me comfortable in bringing my water/sugar solution to a boil then shutting off immediately before priming - no need to boil for x minutes!

Nothing wrong with it at all. I've been doing them that way since 1994. ;)

Incidently, the LA method does not increase hop utilization. It actually has more to do with trying to keep the color of the brew light.
Hop utilization (bitterness extraction) is more of a factor with wort density.

Papazian's Hop Utilization chart recommends 1 gal of water to 1 lb of DME results in a gravity of 1.040 (BYO uses 1.045). Adding 1 oz of hops to that mixture extracts the maximum bitterness from the hop at 30%.

If your (boiling) wort has a high density (gravity) the hop bitterness extraction is less. If the wort gravity is low the hop bitterness is more, but harsh than normal, but never more than 30%.

Flash pasteurization is normally done around 165F and 30 seconds. By the time you have the extract stirred in, it's done.

i add at flameout after i have removed from the burner. then stir vigorously so it dissolves. i've done this with both LME and DME. I find its easier with the DME but obviously LME is a lot cheaper so I end up going with that a lot. i do this every time I brew and i have never gotten a contamination.

i thought it did aid in initial hop utilization since the starting gravity of the wort is lower.

i too like better hop utilization... :)

all, i have been adding my DME at the start of the boil and my LME in the last 20 minutes or so (because it is already carmelized somehwhat and i dont want to add more) IS there anything wrong with that or my thinking behind it?

When I do extract brews, I use late extract additions. So far, I have had great results. I generally add the bulk of my extract when I add my aroma hops.

so far so good.
I don't see myself changing that process in the future... but if there is a better way, I'm all for it.

Back