Late addition of malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew an IPA.

I am considering doing a late malt addition. In the past, I have always added all of my malt at the beginning of the boil.

This batch I plan to steep a pound of Crystal then do a 60 minute boil with about 3 lbs of DME. Hop additions at 60, 30, 10 and flame out. I plan to add an additional 4 lbs of DME at the 10 min hop addition. The boil will start at about 6 gallons.

Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

Thanks,,,,,,John

Sounds good to me. Adding that much extract will stop the boil for a bit, so keep that in mind. I'd probably add it closer to flame out, just so stopping the boil isn't an issue with the hopping.

I usually add it earlier; around 30 minutes to go. Reason: I want the wort to be back to a full boil for any flavor and aroma additions, and also want it in before I put my immersion cooler in. I stop the clock when I add it and restart when it gets back to the boil.

I've added that much dme or lme at 15 minutes already and the boil has resumed within a few minutes. The dme/lme has already been boiled. Adding the dme that late in the boil will reduce the darkening of wort. You'll be fine adding it with 15 minutes left.

Latest posts

Back