Last time using 5.2 Stabilizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdm1982

Reaction score
I've been using 5.2 stabilizer in my beers for maybe the last 3 or 4 years. Only recently I caught wind that the product might not do what it claims to. Also, lately I've been getting more into water chemistry and pH. I got a pH meter last month and, after calibrating it, I used it for the first time yesterday. I used the 5.2 stabilizer, as I always have, and found that my room-temperature mash pH was 5.8. Bru'n Water and Beersmith both predicted 5.4 so that left me a bit puzzled. I didn't add any other salts or acids so I was immediately suspicious of the stabilizer. Of course, the day after brew day I decided to read the notes at the end of the Bru'n Water spreadsheet. I was surprised to see that it directly discusses this issue and my results seem to confirm it as true. I just thought I'd pass this along to anyone who might find it helpful.

I'm not sure what the overall impact this has on the finished beer but I'm not too worried about it since I've been doing it that way for the last few years and most beers turn out fine......and what's done is done. Going forward I'll be ditching that product and building water profiles from distilled water using Bru'n Water.

Yep, I learned the hard way too. It DID improve my extraction a point or 2...but that's it. Man, I got into heated debates defending the stuff too. Oh well, brew on.

When learning how to brew all grain I went to two different people's brew days. At the second one, I watched the guy used the stabilizer and that's pretty much how I got introduced to it. I adopted his practices rather than investigating.

I take this experience with a grain of salt since my sample size is one time. However it seems to lend truth to what has be said about it.

Do you know your exact water profile as tested?
I find Brewers Friend easier to use and spot on PH predictions when the exact starting water profile is entered.
It's not always desirable to just start with RO or distilled water and build from there.
Your water may be perfectly fine, or only needs to be dilute with 1/2 RO water.
The minerals in your water are needed, and honestly, unless your water is so far past a base line that starting from scratch is the only alswer, I would always start with at least some of your source water.
You need to know your starting point though.
Get tested.

That stuff is crap, ditch it and get a copy of Bru n water, salts from the LHBS, and build your own water. Understanding water chemistry has improved by brewing dramatically.

Do you know your exact water profile as tested?
I find Brewers Friend easier to use and spot on PH predictions when the exact starting water profile is entered.
It's not always desirable to just start with RO or distilled water and build from there.
Your water may be perfectly fine, or only needs to be dilute with 1/2 RO water.
The minerals in your water are needed, and honestly, unless your water is so far past a base line that starting from scratch is the only alswer, I would always start with at least some of your source water.
You need to know your starting point though.
Get tested.

I sent my water to Ward Labs about a month ago. Here's the results:
pH: 7.6
Sodium (Na): 69
Calcium (Ca): 146
Magnesium (Mg): 61
Sulfate (SO4): 594
Chloride (Cl): 10
Bicarbonate (HCO3): 171
Total Alkalinity (CaCO3): 141
Total Hardness (CaCO3): 619

Aside from the pH being decent everything else is high. With the amount of particles in the water the low pH really doesn't matter. That's what led me to the idea of building my own water from distilled or RO using Bru'n Water.

That stuff is crap, ditch it and get a copy of Bru n water, salts from the LHBS, and build your own water. Understanding water chemistry has improved by brewing dramatically.

Altering my water profile has always seemed very complicated and intimidating but would love to master it. That said, I got tired of buying 9 gallons of spring water from the store every time I brewed and bought an inline water filer and a potable water grade hose for my outside tap. Any thoughts on issues this may present or am I good for most brews if I'm not looking for a purest approach to a specific style.

Really looking forward to feedback on this.

Altering my water profile has always seemed very complicated and intimidating but would love to master it. That said, I got tired of buying 9 gallons of spring water from the store every time I brewed and bought an inline water filer and a potable water grade hose for my outside tap. Any thoughts on issues this may present or am I good for most brews if I'm not looking for a purest approach to a specific style.

Really looking forward to feedback on this.

All depends on your tap water profile. Get a report done by ward labs and then go from there. My water is actually pretty good, except for the chloramine's. I tried just using a canister carbon filter, but still had an off flavor - which turned out to be chloramine. Went back to distilled and RO and have had great results. YMMV.

I sent my water to Ward Labs about a month ago. Here's the results:
pH: 7.6
Sodium (Na): 69
Calcium (Ca): 146
Magnesium (Mg): 61
Sulfate (SO4): 594
Chloride (Cl): 10
Bicarbonate (HCO3): 171
Total Alkalinity (CaCO3): 141
Total Hardness (CaCO3): 619

Oh My! That is some crappy water. The sulfate and magnesium are way too high for decent brewing. You clearly aren't on Ft Wayne City Utilities water. They are one of my clients and they use lime-softening on the river water to supply the city. Its pretty decent for brewing.

I'm assuming you are getting your water from a well. RO will be a necessary component for your brewing.

I'm actually just south of Fort Wayne in Ossian and that is their town water. I have a regular salt water softener with a string wound filter. Nothing fancy. I keep the salt full and have it set to the highest setting. I try to change the filter once a month.

I was a bit surprised at some of the numbers (sulfates !?!) but not too surprised about the calcium and sodium.

On some brew days I'll buy 10 gallons of the spring water from Walmart. The downside to that is I don't know all the details for the water profile so that leaves me thinking of using distilled or RO.

By the way, I'm liking the Bru'n Water spreadsheet. I thought it was a good guide for a beginner like me. I can't wait to brew again to put it to the test. Thanks for putting that together.

I've been using 5.2 stabilizer in my beers for maybe the last 3 or 4 years. Only recently I caught wind that the product might not do what it claims to. Also, lately I've been getting more into water chemistry and pH. I got a pH meter last month and, after calibrating it, I used it for the first time yesterday. I used the 5.2 stabilizer, as I always have, and found that my room-temperature mash pH was 5.8.

We say that 5.2 works great for brewers who do not own a pH meter.

Latest posts

Back