Lars Frederiksen and the bastards!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregR

Reaction score
seriously, what an awesome band! yeah I've been driking and I have a paper due tomorrow but these guys kick ass. I can't stop listening to them tonight!

what are your favorite punk bands?
mine are (in no particular order)

operation ivy
dead kennedys
the clash
bad brains
johnny cash (YES, johnny cash is punk)
NOFX
the casualties
bad religion
Gogol Bordello
the distillers
dropkick murphys

Damned
Dickies
Nomeansno
Dead Kennedys
Bad Brains
Sex Pistols
Snuff
Ruts
Senseless Things

and obviously Iggy & the Stooges

Septic Death
The Accused
Zeke
The Exploited
Bad Brains
The Germs
TSOL
Dickies
The Wobblies
to name a few...

johnny cash (YES, johnny cash is punk)

I am so glad someone else gets this! :rockin:So few people actually do. I like a lot of punk too much to list from Memory.

Gogol Bordello
The Vandals
Johnny Cash
Dropkick Murphy's
Bloody Irish Boys
Iggy Pop
Joy Division
Living End
Pere Ubu
X-ray Spex
New York Dolls
Ramones
Rancid
Tim Armstrong
Social Distortion
Reverend Horton Heat
Sex Pistols
The Cramps
The Clash
Ian Dury
Dead Kennedys
Suicidal Tendencies

I'll chime in...

The Subhumans
B.G.K.
The English Dogs
Minor Threat
Suicidal Tendencies
The Clash
Iggy and The Stooges
The Misfits
Social Distortion
Dead Kennedy's
Broken Bones
Flogging Molly
The Cramps
Danzig
Horrorpops
Nekromantix
Youth Brigade

That's all I can remember right now, there are many others. Tenchiro, nice selection.

Cheers

Pennywise
Bad Religion
The Deviates
New York Dolls
Stiff Little Fingers
The Business
Old Dropkick Murphys
Iggy and the Stooges
Rise Against
The Misfits
Old Offspring
Social Distortion

I'm sure the list could go on and on...

oh, and Choking victim/leftover crack/INDK/morning glory. what ever they decided to call themselves today are really good as well.

Its weird like 99% of these bands are not punk bands at all. Merely ska, hardcore,pop punk. It is hard to retain a real "punk" label nowadays.
Clash blow, Joe strummers stuff is much better.
Johnny Cash is not punk, there is no sayin he is punk rock, maybe merely his "attitude" he has influenced punk rock he was under the punk category. Time to hit the drawing board boys

My favortie artists.

The Gaslight Anthem
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphys
The Tossers
Lucero
Street Dogs
The Riot Before
Mischief Brew
List goes on depending on season

seriously, what an awesome band! yeah I've been driking and I have a paper due tomorrow but these guys kick ass. I can't stop listening to them tonight!

Lars, Op Ivy
And you don't like Rancid?
for anyone who liked Op Ivy check out Common Rider.
its a band with the old singer from Operation Ivy, pretty sick stuff.

..I was puzzled by the lack of the Lars of yesteryear as well.

I do like rancid. they are one of my favorites. I was pretty drunk when I wrote this. it was merely an oversight on my part. hopefully the punk gods will forgive me for this one.

My favortie artists.

The Gaslight Anthem
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphys
The Tossers
Lucero
Street Dogs
The Riot Before
Mischief Brew

in reply to your last post, I'd hardly call flogging molly punk. That is, in a purely musical genre definition of the word. I mean if you're gonna let them slip in but give Johnny the boot . . .

I never really viewed punk as a strict genre but more of a mind set. J.C. was as punk as they come. hell I even think Woody Guthrie had a little punk in him.

mischief brew is awesome BTW. I just heard about them through a friend and can't get enough of it.

Its weird like 99% of these bands are not punk bands at all. Merely ska, hardcore,pop punk. It is hard to retain a real "punk" label nowadays.
Clash blow, Joe strummers stuff is much better.
Johnny Cash is not punk, there is no sayin he is punk rock, maybe merely his "attitude" he has influenced punk rock he was under the punk category. Time to hit the drawing board boys

It isn't the music that is punk though, it is all about the attitude. Hell most of the "punk" bands around I wouldn't call punk. In that regard Johnny Cash is most definitely punk.

In no specific order:

Rancid
TSOL
Social Distortion
NOFX
GutterMouth
The Offspring
Dropkick Murphys
Flogging Molly
Pennywise
(Old) Green Day
Anti-Flag
Rise Against
Bad Religion

I just remembered a few from the "old" days:

Black Flag
Circle Jerks
Christ-On-Parade
Anarchy U.K.
M.D.C.

These weren't many of my favorites although I did listen to quite a bit of Black Flag and Christ-On-Parade.

As for what qualifies as a punk band and what doesn't, I think that is pretty damn subjective. When I was younger if it wasn't hard core punk it just wasn't punk. Also, many of my early favorite bands were British bands. Then in the mid to late eighties there were some good So Cal punk bands that came along.

Johnny Cash? Musically not very punk but attitude wise very punk for his time. Also, look how good punk and rockabilly go together. There are some great Psychobilly bands out there.

I forgot to add Minor Threat.

As for what qualifies as a punk band and what doesn't, I think that is pretty damn subjective. When I was younger if it wasn't hard core punk it just wasn't punk.

I'm with you 100%. When we were bleeding at shows in the early- to mid-80's loud, fast, and angry pretty much did it... But mostly it was attitude/worldview, and "punk" isn't a hard-and-fast category, it's just something you know when you hear it. Johnny Cash? Definitely. Strummer sure seemed to think so.

Bad Religion
Nofx
Rancid
first two offspring albums
black flag
pennywise
ten foot pole
descendants
sex pistols
stiff little fingers
aquabats
misfits
ramones

this is exactly what I was trying to say.
you can be a 'punk' with out being in a 'punk rock' band. in fact a lot of the poeple who I feel are the most 'punk' wouldn't fall under the traditional label.

punk isn't about the music. I never thought it was. punk is a big middle finger to the status quo and the establishment as a whole. it's about standing up for what is wrong and making the little guys voice heard.

it's not three power chords a strong bass line and snarling vocals.

punks who are not "punk":

Johnny Cash
Woody Guthrie
rage against the machine
bob Marley
Richard Dawkins(seriously, the balls to stand up to the abrahamic religions and call bull sh#t on a global level. . . that is PUNK)

GregR, I just noticed that you were in San Diego. Do you remember a band called Battalion of Saints? I think they were out of SD in the late 80's?

I agree that punk music is more of an attitude than a cut and dry genre, but punk music should definently have an edge to it. At least in my opinion. By the way I have to say that I'm impressed that no one has tried to sneak in a band like Blink 182 or some other psuedo punk, pop band. Late Greenday and Offspring though is pushing the limit;)

GregR, I just noticed that you were in San Diego. Do you remember a band called Battalion of Saints? I think they were out of SD in the late 80's?

I agree that punk music is more of an attitude than a cut and dry genre, but punk music should definently have an edge to it. )

though you are correct that I am in San Diego, I have only lived here for about the last 5 years. beyond that, you're aging yourself as well as me. . . I graduated kindergarten in 1989. sadly in some circles that makes me feel very old but in this instance, in lieu of what you said, it makes me feel young. I will look them up and I hope I can hear something awesome from them.

+1billion gazillion frafillion whatever. . . my only prerequisite into punk is you have to have an edge and a message. . . I could say what I think punk is but so long as you are actively fighting the system in whatever way you can, you are punk.

My favortie artists.

The Gaslight Anthem
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphys
The Tossers
Lucero
Street Dogs
The Riot Before
Mischief Brew

OK, since you started it, I don't consider these to be punk bands. I think the Damned are one of the last true punk bands left! :rockin:

You graduated kindergarten in 1989? Holy crap! I am dating myself, I graduated high school in 1990:D Such is life......Enjoy the music anyway Brotha!

:mug:

Heh heh. I used to have long hair when I was at college back in the mid-eighties when I was a "post-punk" and I hated it when kids yelled hippy. I was a Stooges fan dammit!

BTW, your musics just reanimated is all. ;)

that's ok. i like reanimation :p

reanimator2.jpg

Jesus you guys are old...

Hence my opinions on what constitutes punk!!!!!

I like Green Day, I just don't call 'em punk! :drunk:

Since no one else mentioned them you have to check out Nomeansno. Great live show. :rockin:

Back