large yeast starter - start big or build up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily47

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am brewing a big beer (belgian trippel) and I will need at least a gallon yeast starter from my one wyeast pack, or the equivalent in a built-up starter.

I have the equipment and means do either one: I have a 2L flask, a 5L flask, stir bars to fit both, and a stirplate powerful enough to handle the 5L flask/ 2" stirbar setup.

So my question is simple: If you need a large amount of yeast for a big beer/lager, is it better to build up a yeast starter in 1L or 2L increments, or is it better to just go ahead and do the whole 4L in one step?

Thanks for the help!

You really only need to make the smaller 1L etc steps if you're starting from a smaller vial or culture (like if you ranch yeast).
If you're using a healthy (non-expired) pack from Wyeast or White Labs, go ahead and start the 5L monster all at once.
With that much nasty starter wort, it's important to cold crash it so you can decant most of the starter and pitch as close as you can get to pure yeast.

So my question is simple: If you need a large amount of yeast for a big beer/lager, is it better to build up a yeast starter in 1L or 2L increments, or is it better to just go ahead and do the whole 4L in one step?

Thanks for the help!
It is much, much better to build the yeast in increments. You get more additional growth the fewer initial yeast cells in the batch. The best growth has been shown to be about 10x. This was according the the yeast book by Chris White and Jamil. So basically the most growth happens when you increase by 10 fold.

I personally go with a 5x-4x or so method. I start out with a few drops from a shaken up vial and add those 2 drops to about 100ml. I let this go for two days and then step it up to 500ml. I let this go two days and step up the final time to 2000ml. This goes for 2 more days before I actually pitch in my beer.

This has been very effective for me in any beer I brew high gravity or not. I also must note I do this for 11 gallon batches, so for a 5 gallon batch you can basically half all of this. Just my two cents here, not sure others would agree.

:mug:

It is much, much better to build the yeast in increments. You get more additional growth the fewer initial yeast cells in the batch. The best growth has been shown to be about 10x. This was according the the yeast book by Chris White and Jamil. So basically the most growth happens when you increase by 10 fold.

I personally go with a 5x-4x or so method. I start out with a few drops from a shaken up vial and add those 2 drops to about 100ml. I let this go for two days and then step it up to 500ml. I let this go two days and step up the final time to 2000ml. This goes for 2 more days before I actually pitch in my beer.

This has been very effective for me in any beer I brew high gravity or not. I also must note I do this for 11 gallon batches, so for a 5 gallon batch you can basically half all of this. Just my two cents here, not sure others would agree.

:mug:

So you're only using 2 drops of yeast and that grow enough to pitch?

Between steps you don't decant, just keep adding?

I have a similar setup as the OP - step up. Make a 2l starter of 1040 wort, crash and decant and pitch it into the 5l starter of 1040 wort. You'll have more yeast then you know what to do with.

So you're only using 2 drops of yeast and that grow enough to pitch?

Between steps you don't decant, just keep adding?

I only decant once the starter has gone for 6 days. The night before I brew I place the 2000ml flask in the fridge so that the yeast settles. I then decant the beer off the top of the yeast cake and pitch with the remaining yeast cake.

Roughly 2 drops yes, just make sure you shake the vial up real well before you pour out the 2-3 drops.

Latest posts

Back