Lambic questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, Brewed a lambic w raspberries in Feb of 16, decided today's the day to bottle. Theres a layer of feta cheese looking funk across the top which i assume is bacteria. I have 2 questions, is this normal pellicle funk and is the fact that the airlock jar dried out a big deal? Appreciate any answers as its my first sour and after 18 months id like to know i didnt ruin it lol

dried airlock is a concern but perhaps the pellicle you described protected it. How does it taste? Imagine it is pretty sour but is it a lactic sour or an acetic sour? If it is too sour but still tastes good you might consider brewing something fresh and blending.

Yes that is a pellicle. IMO it is so well formed due to over exposure to oxygen. It may be ok or it may be vinegar no way to know without tasting it.

Havent tasted it yet . I like the blending idea tho. Also wonder about repitching yeast as i imagine theyre long gone, or will the bacteria blow the bottles?

Havent tasted it yet . I like the blending idea tho. Also wonder about repitching yeast as i imagine theyre long gone, or will the bacteria blow the bottles?

I would add a bit of yeast at bottling. Mad Fernentationist recommends 2 grams of wine yeast in a 5 gallon batch. The bacterial are probably still viable but would take a long time to carb the beer and a quick refernetation carb will consume head space oxygen and protect the beer,

On the blending you do need to be a little cautious as the young beer will provide non fermentable (to yeast) sugars that the lambic bacteria and wild yeast will consume. When I blend I tend to move the beers into a secondary with almost no head space and let them go a month or two before bottling to avoid bottle bombs.

Back