Lallemand BRY-97 Trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opiate42

Reaction score
Cotacachi, Ecuador (formerly Toronto, Canada)
So I cracked open a few packets of the recently rebranded Lallemand (formerly Danstar) BRY-97 dry yeast today and the colour and smell was way off. Expiry isn't until January 2023 so that's not an issue.

Darker brown, and smelled toasty. Not the usual cream colour and smell I'm used to. Been using it for years and never experienced this before. All packets I opened (5 in total) were all the same, same lot and expiry date too.

Anyone else using this yeast experience this? Any wayward results?

It used to be a normal creamy colour when hydrating. Now it looks like chocolate milk and the toasty smell has me a bit worried. Should have taken a picture before pitching (still pitched as I don't have an alternative).

Thanks for any input, already have tried contacting Lallemand with the lot number but as yet no response.

Wondering how your beer turned out, I just opened a pack that sounds just like the one you described and am nervous about pitching it.

Attachments

• D1F49E3E-1AF8-4EA2-A351-6785364C1F73.jpeg
    D1F49E3E-1AF8-4EA2-A351-6785364C1F73.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I received this reply from Lallemand:

“I received your question on the color of BRY-97 yeast you recently used. The color of the yeast can vary this is due to the change in color of molasses used during production. The color difference is no indication of quality or performance. The yeast should behave as normal.”

Latest posts

Back