Lakefront's Riverwest Stein - Recipe/Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpunk

Reaction score
Does anybody have a clone recipe for Lakefront Brewery's Riverwest Stein? I've been a fan for years, and have never seen any recipe's out there. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
brewpunk

Thanks guys.
Sagan - do you know what yeast strains they used in those spreadsheet recipes? I've had suggestions of WL Southern German Lager as well as North American Lager, which doesn't make as much sense to me.

Thanks,
brewpunk

I unfortunately have not actually brewed from this spreadsheet, I found it online during a search for their recipes. I personally would go with the WL838 seeing as it is more in the style of the beer. Nevertheless, either strain should give you a great tasting beer. Please let me know which yeast you do eventually use and the result, I would appreciate it for my notes.
Happy brewing.

not to hijack the thread or anything but how about a recipe for lakefront's wheat monkey? The old lady loves the stuff!

the recipes in that spreadsheet are all strange.....

riverwest stein example....0.05lb (aka 0.8ounce) of roasted barley?

for that recipe, beersmith calculates 8.7 SRM and 6 IBU's tinseth....

something's not right...

After doing a little more research, I agree with motobrewer, so I'm going to alter the spreadsheet recipe a little and add a pound of munich and an ounce of roasted barley, and increase the willamette hop addition at 30 minutes. This, according to Beer Smith, should increase the level of SRM, ABV and IBU's to a beer that more resembles Riverwest Stein. I had to substitute Wyeast 2308 for the WL838 as the HBS was out of the WL. I looked at the yeast starter and it looks like the yeast the HBS sold was a bit old, so I had some WL830 German Lager yeast that I added to the starter. So it will be a combination of Southern German & German Lager. I'm hoping it won't make too much of a difference.

I racked this to the secondary after a diacetyl rest and onto cooling down and let it lager for another 6 weeks. I took a sample and was amazed at how close it was to Stein already. Granted it needs some smoothing out and lagering time, and the carbonation usually adds something, but so far so good. And regardless if it turns out to be a clone, it is going to be one tasty beer.

Looking forward to the complete taste-test. I may have to get the full recipe breakdown from you when you've finished.

I'll post the side by side comparison results next month, as I want to let it lager for 4-6 weeks. If it turns out to be pretty close, I'll post the recipe.

Has anyone brewed this lately? I'm thinking about brewing this as my first lager, and would love to hear some results (good or bad) or pointers. Thanks.

Yea, I'm digging up an old thread. Although, there isn't much out there on this beer, so I figured I would add some notes to this thread (for the next time I google clones of this brew...)

I'm looking to brew this for the wifey, so I am doing some research. The spreadhsheet that Sagan references is still available via archive.org here: https://web.archive.org/web/20060215000000*/http://beerbarons.org/recipes/Lakefront.xls

The recipe calls for:
8.32 lb 2 row
0.63 lb carapils
0.63 lb caramunich
0.05 lb Roasted Barley

9.63 gram willamette @90 (8.7 IBU)
22.8 gram Cascade @0 (3.8 IBU)
Total IBU 12.5

OG 1.060

That said, that does not match ("exactly") the current sell sheet for the beer (hey, beers can change over the years).

http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com/files/sell-sheets/lfsellsheet_riverweststein.pdf

5.6% ABV
15–16 IBUs
14.0° PLATO

TWO-ROW PALE, 8°L CARAMEL,
45°L CARAMEL, ROASTED BARLEY
ZEUS, WILLAMETTE, CASCADE

"Our flagship beer, named after the hard working neighborhood in which Lakefront Brewery was founded.
Pours a brilliant amber with a bubbly off-white head. Aromas of American hops linger with a slight floral
character from the German lager yeast. A balanced maltiness with just a hint of sweetness dominates the
flavor, with a crisp hop bite in the finish. A joy to drink; no wonder it’s Milwaukee’s favorite craft beer.
Pair this with any good German entrée like schnitzel or rouladen and you’ll have an instant hit."

CaraPils (1.5L) seems to be swapped for a light caramel, and the hop schedule also changed. Addition of Zeus and a few more IBU.

Oh hell... Not sure what to do now.

Back