American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have brewed this recipe several times, it's pretty much my house ale. Brewed it 2 weeks ago but added 3# of rye to a ten gallon batch. Just racked to secondary and dry hopping. will see the results by new years

No Simoce to be found anywhere around me locally. I have Amarillo, Centennial, Willamette, Cascade, and Magnum. I am happy to pick up some others if needed. Any suggestions on the best way to replace the unreplaceable Simcoe?

I am hoping to brew this or Edworts Wounded Knee this week and need Simcoe for both.

Too bad, b/c Amarillo/Simcoe is what makes this beer.

I've heard Galaxy is a close sub to simcoe.. or possibly something else piney like Chinook.

With this damn shortage, I'm glad I won a pound of Simcoe in a homebrew comp.

Hey Dude... how about a refresh on the recipe you used (specifics) for this 29th batch which is the best you've brewed yet.

Would love an update on this recipe... have brewed it quite a few times as well.

I checked the recipe on the first page...I brew it exactly like that. I think what put the last batch over the top was running the fresh hops thru the HopRocket. Creates an incredible aroma. I think the Citra really compliment the beer...but not necessary if you don't have it.

I'm headed to Siebel next month...I'm going to try to talk the Doemens Academy instructors into letting us brew Lake Walk on the big system.

I'm brewing this Tuesday. I hope I don't misrepresent this beer.

I went to my LHBS and they didn't have Simcoe. I was told Summit was a good substitute, so I bought it. But I put it into BeerSmith and it claims it would push the IBUs off the chart and I don't want that.

So I bought some Simcoe online.

Hopefully the Dude abides for me on Tuesday.

Hi Dude...I'm brewing this recipe this weekend, and I was wondering what the benefit of doing a 90 minute boil is vs a 60 minute boil...since the hops aren't added until 60.

Thanks!

Dude, one more question. How would I take this type of beer and turn it into an IPA? Not sure that even makes sense, I sort of want to take this hop punch in this and double it! Maybe the Citra does that? I guess I could just up my 60min addition to increase my IBUs, then up the grain bill a bit to balance it out?

Hi Dude...I'm brewing this recipe this weekend, and I was wondering what the benefit of doing a 90 minute boil is vs a 60 minute boil...since the hops aren't added until 60.

Thanks!

The main reasons for a 90 minute boil involve driving away DMS and helping with stability as far as protein haze. Search this topic--it's good stuff to know. More important for all-grain brewing than it is for extract.

Dude, one more question. How would I take this type of beer and turn it into an IPA? Not sure that even makes sense, I sort of want to take this hop punch in this and double it! Maybe the Citra does that? I guess I could just up my 60min addition to increase my IBUs, then up the grain bill a bit to balance it out?

I would just add more base malt. No need for more adjunct malts. And like you said up the 60 minute addition...maybe even another hop addition around 30 minutes. Any hops added near flameout aren't going to give you much bitterness because they need to be boiled to isomerize into "bitterness".

Made a modified batch of this last week- 1 marris otter 2 crystal 40 3 pac man bottle harvested ! Its almost done fermenting and smells amazing i cant wait to try it, but it'll be a while cause its third in my keg rotation:D Thanks for the recipe DUDE!!!

Here's what I ended up brewing. I'm a little skeptical as this recipe really doesn't need any altering, but I am excited to see what happens. First time really changing a recipe.

Est Original Gravity: 1.060
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 %
Bitterness: 60.7 IBU
Est Color: 10.1 SRM

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
2 lbs 8.0 oz Victory Malt
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked

1.00 oz Amarillo Boil 60.0
0.75 oz Amarillo Boil 20.0
0.75 oz Simcoe Boil 20.0
1.00 oz Amarillo Boil 5.0
1.00 oz Simcoe Boil 5.0
1.00 oz Citra Boil 0.0 min

1.00 oz Amarillo Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop
1.00 oz Simcoe Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop
1.00 oz Citra Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop

As anyone tried the substitute some 2-row with Vienna Malt in this recipe?
If so what was the outcome?
Look forward brewing this beer but would like to tweak it a bit to develop my own!!!
What do you guys think about adding Vienna.
thanks

You could probably just replace the Toasted Malt with Vienna. They are quite similar, IMHO.

thanks for your answer.
I was also wondering if some increase the ratio of Toasted/Vienna vs the 2-row?
It looks like a good brew; can't wait doing it. I don'T have time in the next couple of weeks but shouldbe good to give it a try mid-feb

Here's mine:

Brewed 12/18/2011 per recipe OG=1.058 FG=1.012
Kegged 01/08/2012 + Dry Hopped for 10 days
Chilled + CO2 added 01/18
Tapped 01/29

Absolutely delicious! Smells like Sweetwater IPA.

DSC00982.jpg

DSC00983.jpg

Hi,

Amarillo is impossible to get nowadays! Has anyone attempted to substitute anything in its placE? I brewed up a bunch with Cascade instead of Amarillo, and will be dry hopping today as well.

If not cascade, what substitutes would you recommend...centennial?

I'd say centennial is closest to amarillo IMO but nothing is a perfect match.

Been a while since I've brewed some LWPA, it always goes so fast! I'll have to brew again soon.

I lucked out and got just enough Amarillo and Simcoe to brew this and a Pliny Clone. Doing the Lake Walk with organic grains and a tiny bit of Citra in the dry hop; can't wait!

A real bummer that these hops are so good and in such short supply. Chinook and Centennial can get "in the ballpark", but nothing is really the same.

Dude - Thanks for the recipe. By far my favorite of everything I've made so far.

I'm amazed at how quickly the hop flavor changes. It seems that every few days I can detect a slightly differnt hop character. I just wish I could figure out how to lock it at what I think is the sweet spot where the citris is right in your face without being over the top. Would dry hopping longer help maintain that a bit longer do you think? I've been dry hopping for 7 and then 10 days on the next batch. Would you try longer?

Brewed this last week and tasted my (pre-dry-hopping) hydrometer sample. Really, really good. I can't wait to try it once it's finished and in the bottle.

Bottom line, great recipe -- thanks, Dude!

Made this for the first time. With less than a week in the keg (dry hopping with just a pinch of Citra added), it's headed to be my new favorite! This is as close as it gets getting IIPA flavors and aromas in a Pale Ale. My liver thanks you!

I want to try this recipe. But I gave a question. The recipe says 2 row brewers malt. Is that 2 row pale malt? Also, the toasted pale malt. Is that just more of the pale malt that is toasted? Thanks for the info!

shelly_belly said:
Here's mine:

Brewed 12/18/2011 per recipe OG=1.058 FG=1.012
Kegged 01/08/2012 + Dry Hopped for 10 days
Chilled + CO2 added 01/18
Tapped 01/29

Absolutely delicious! Smells like Sweetwater IPA.

I can't wait to try it. I tried sweetwater a month back and that got me looking for a good pale ale recipe. CAN NOT WAIT! Moving to the secondary tonight!

Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the middle, but do you let the malt rest after roasting and if so, how long.
I'd like to brew this tomorrow and I can roast the grains today. I've let most grains rest for about a week after roasting previously.
Thanks,
Bull

Yeah, my recollection from reading the whole thread (whew...) some time ago, is that some people had let the toasted grains sit for a week or two before using them but othes had used them the next day with no adverse effects. I have done it both ways and did not have a problem toasting them one day and using them the next. Good luck.

I used mine 10 min after roasting , but thats not why im posting.....just tapped the keg of this and its AWSOME my wife that hates hoppy beer loves it! She dosn't believe that i didn't put some kind of juice in the keg lol!:D thanks for the recipe dude.

I didn't wait the 1-2 week after roasting. Tasted toasty in the keg early on, but now the flavors have mellowed or disguised by the long dry hop in the keg.

I think it may be time to remove the dry hops. Aroma of citrus and pineapple fills the room on every pour!

I just wanted to chime in, about 6 or 7 weeks after bottling: This beer is delicious. It was my first brew (I did the PM version) and I couldn't be happier with it. The aroma is amazing. I can't wait to brew this again once I really know what I'm doing.

Entered an IPA version of this beer in the Bluebonnet Brew off and got second in the new entrant category. I haven't got my score sheets back yet, but I am very interested to see the comments. I missed my mash temp and it ended up a bit sweeter than I was going for.

Entered an IPA version of this beer in the Bluebonnet Brew off and got second in the new entrant category. I haven't got my score sheets back yet, but I am very interested to see the comments. I missed my mash temp and it ended up a bit sweeter than I was going for.

Care to share your recipe? I tried turning it into an IPA as well, I'd like to compare notes!

Back