lagering with Nottingham ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moses1

Reaction score
This has been discussed a bit before, but I was hoping to get more information about fermentation and lagering temperatures when using nottingham to make a lager.

I realize using an ale yeast to make a lager is not the best way to do it, but I'm trying to make use of what's available to me, and it's a bit of a pain to order things to middle-of-nowhere Canada where I live.

So my question is what temperatures are ideal for the fermentation and lagering phases using nottingham (which is supposed to be active between 57-70F)? Do I have to stay within this active range for both phases, or can I drop into the 40-50F range like one would usually do for lagering? Thanks!

You can make a very lager-like ale with nottingham by fermenting in the high 50s. It will work in the low-mid 50s, too, but it may take a while to finish out. Rousing it (swirling the fermenter) helps.

If you are going to be sitting in the 40-50°F range, I would go with a lager yeast...they make some pretty good dry lager yeasts you could order a bunch of to stock up on. You can ferment most lager yeasts at up to 55°F without a problem.

ale yeast do not work at lager temps. if you use them at those temps fermentation will go into slow-mow if not stop entirely.

i don't think you'll have any issues with lagering it. i know there are some theories that yeast are still "working" during the lagering phase, but when I've lagered, i usually just put it in my fridge at < 40 deg and let it go instead of dropping the temp down a few degrees per day like suggested. works fine and i'm sure notty wouldn't do anything weird if you did the same with it. i'm about to attempt a pseudo lager with notty... once i can get some decent weather to brew in!

ale yeast do not work at lager temps. if you use them at those temps fermentation will go into slow-mow if not stop entirely.

There are many ale yeasts that will flocculate completely or have much trouble working in the 50s. Nottingham is one of the few exceptions. It may go slow, but again...that's where I think rousing the yeast is essential.

moses1...Look up the style for "Cream Ale" if you'd like to make a lager-like ale...those recipes can help (along with the notty) make a very clean beer.

The conditioning temperature once the fermentation is done isn't as critical. My beers condition anywhere from 40F to 65F depending on the time of year. It just takes longer at low temperatures.

nottingham yeast is my favorite yeast and I have lots of experience with it. I don't think you will gain anything from a neutrality standpoint by using this yeast at lager temperatures. If you ferment nottingham at a steady 60 degrees you are going to get about a clean a profile as you can with an ale yeast. I personally have found 64 degrees to be the absolute sweet spot for nottingham, it's clean, it floccs out and it attenuates like crazy.

Get a good kolsch recipe and use nottingham yeast.....mmmmmmm

so i've probably done 3 "lagers" with nottingham and keep getting this odd flavor profile from it. at one point i can almost detect a peachy, pineappley ester and the other taste i'm getting is a harshness that i have trouble describing (not astringent or hops). i thought the first few times it was my messing with the hop bill in the recipe but recently my friend tried his hand at a pseudo lager with notty and the exact same flavor was present in his. different grain bill and hops than i'd ever used, but honestly tasted like the exact same beer. i've gone down as low as 58 with notty, he did his around 62 and i think i'll stick to 1056 from now on in these beers (i've had ill success with us-05 too)... anyone else get these flavors from notty?

so i've probably done 3 "lagers" with nottingham and keep getting this odd flavor profile from it. at one point i can almost detect a peachy, pineappley ester and the other taste i'm getting is a harshness that i have trouble describing (not astringent or hops). i thought the first few times it was my messing with the hop bill in the recipe but recently my friend tried his hand at a pseudo lager with notty and the exact same flavor was present in his. different grain bill and hops than i'd ever used, but honestly tasted like the exact same beer. i've gone down as low as 58 with notty, he did his around 62 and i think i'll stick to 1056 from now on in these beers (i've had ill success with us-05 too)... anyone else get these flavors from notty?

I tried a notty lager fermented @ 58F and got a "twang" from it that I didn't love. I just use lager yeast for lagers now. W-34/70 is a good dry one.

This has been discussed a bit before, but I was hoping to get more information about fermentation and lagering temperatures when using nottingham to make a lager.

I realize using an ale yeast to make a lager is not the best way to do it, but I'm trying to make use of what's available to me, and it's a bit of a pain to order things to middle-of-nowhere Canada where I live.

So my question is what temperatures are ideal for the fermentation and lagering phases using nottingham (which is supposed to be active between 57-70F)? Do I have to stay within this active range for both phases, or can I drop into the 40-50F range like one would usually do for lagering? Thanks!

Give it a go, but I live on the west coast and I order from Ontario. You are closer than I am fo sho, you should be able to get some good lager yeasts quite easily. 'Homebrewsupplies' & 'mashingheads' are both in that province, just in case you were not yet aware. I have had success with both.

Latest posts

Back