Lagering at 41 F? Frozen lager question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewew

Reaction score
Good day, brewers ! :D

Couldn't quite find an answer searching the forum.

Quick questions however... I accidentally semi-froze my batches of Lager. They didn't turn to popstickles, just kinda slush-like.

Since I lagered outside, which is now obviously too cold pt., my secound best option is to lager them in a room that holds 41 Farenheit / 5 degrees C.

Is this a good lagering temp, or is it too high..?

Will I need to repitch yeats Now, or can I wait just prior to bottling?

Thanks ! :)

Lagering at 40F is very appropriate. In fact, I think that is the most common temp people use! You just need to allow more lagering time compared to low temps. What temp is your primary?

I fermented in the 50-55 farenheit zone. The ones that sits in the room holding 41 farenheit have been racked to secoundary.

So, I can leave them in that temp but should rely on a longer lagering time.. is there any method on knowing for how much longer they should lager, than usual?

Also, will unstable and uneven temps during lagering be harmful in any way?
Like going between 30-40F over several weeks, back and forth?

I fermented in the 50-55 farenheit zone. The ones that sits in the room holding 41 farenheit have been racked to secoundary.

So, I can leave them in that temp but should rely on a longer lagering time.. is there any method on knowing for how much longer they should lager, than usual?

Also, will unstable and uneven temps during lagering be harmful in any way?
Like going between 30-40F over several weeks, back and forth?

I'm sorry, you should lager for less time compared to lower temps according to JP's book. He recommends:

3 - 4 weeks at 45°F, 5 - 6 weeks at 40°F, or 7 - 8 weeks at 35°F.

The reason for that is simple: The lower the temps, the more time the yeast needs to carry on its lagering effects. The major, and perhaps the only, improvement you will see by lagering at lower temps, say 35F, compared to 40F, is the clarity of the beer. Lagering at lower temps for extended periods of time results in much clear beer, crystal clear if it is a light lager or Pilsener.

Major variations in temps during lagering or fermentation (more than 5F) is not recommended for any beer because it can change the metabolism profile of the yeast and potentially result in off-tastes or partial inactivity. It just increases the risk for that, not necessarily always the case. Putting your carboy/pail in a cooler filled with water help to maintain the wort temp stable under unstable room temps.

Ive frozen a lager of mine, well it slushed like yours did and it still turned out great. i stopped worrying about trying to get mine down to 36f or so after that. let it ferment at 50 or so, then bring it to 40f, dont worry too much about going so low, it will still be delicious in the end.

Latest posts

Back