Lager Yeast Starter Question - Would you proceed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tippsy-Turvy

Reaction score
My LHBS only had a single vial of WLP830 left in stock and it was already 1 month after its expiry date. Having read on this forum numerous cases of people using expired yeast with success and since my LHBS offered it at a 50% discount, i took it.

The starter was kept at room temperature and shaken regularly but showed ZERO activity and the SG didn't change for 2 days (stuck exactly at 1.036). Finally today, the 3rd day, the SG has dropped to 1.026 BUT 1) there's a layer of something on top of the yeast cake that's a different color, 2) the yeast cake is solid and i can't disturb it any more by shaking and 3) there's a strong sour smell from the starter (exactly like a sour mash I did before).

Is it likely it's wild yeast in there doing the fermenting now and therefore I should dump this starter and brew a different recipe? Or, would you proceed and ferment with this starter?

Your wisdom is much needed.

Hard to say. I have used yeasts that smelled terrible (to me). I wouldn't say sour though. It seems odd that you cannot shake the yeast cake up. I might try it on a simple beer. I would not on a beer using expensive ingredients.

I've fired up stored yeast that's been in the fridge for ages and it's behaved wonderfully. Sanitation is a big deal with regard to all this stuff as I'm sure you know. Haven't got a photo of the said beasty have you mate?

Latest posts

Back