Lager Virgin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxkale

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, now that it is getting cool in Beervana, I'm thinking of taking a crack at my first lager. I'm planning on using the area behind my basement that is under my enclosed porch for a fermentation area. It should stay cooler than my 58-60 degree basement, yet not freeze.

So my question to ye lager gods is do you have any suggestions on recipes? I've been brewing for about a year and a half and have a 10 gallon all grain setup, so I should have the equipment to give just about anything a try. I'd like something flavorful, but I'm not so set on a specific style. I'm pretty versatile when it comes to what I'll drink, and luckily, I have a good cadre of friends who will consume just about anything I'll make. :tank:

I went perusing through the recipe section of the forum and was kind of surprised by the relative lack of options, compared to ales. I'm guessing it is due to the time that lagers take to be ready.

Anyway, any suggestions for a first all grain lager recipe would be greatly appreciated. Cheers! :mug:

Marzen? Very easy and damned tasty too... 10# Munich, 22-25 IBU, 1/2 oz of something noble to finish.

I just brewed Home Run Red Lager and sampled it yesterday after taking a reading. It was so good i was debating just pouring myself a glass of it straight out the primary.

10-12lb Pilsner
Noble hops to 20-30 IBU
w34/70 (2 packets)
Ferment for a couple days, raise temps when the bubbling slows down for a D-rest
Secondary/keg/lager for a few weeks (3-6)
Drink while wearing something German.

Back