Lager Techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weez

Reaction score
I am new to brewing. This is my third batch- a lager. The first two I brewed turned out great. Good taste and everything went according to plan. However, I later found out that my supplier gave me ale yeasts for the first two batches, so I guess I made a hybrid.

Anyway, I am on day 3 of fermentation at 57F. I plan to let this go for about 7 days (that's has been the time for the last batches to complete). Then I was going to lager for 2 weeks at 40F. Then bottle/condition for another 3 weeks. I have been ready this forum and there seems to be some different ideas on some temps and lengths.

If all goes well does this make sense?

Well, 57f is a bit on the high range for most lager yeasts. You'll get a cleaner profile if you ferment closer to 50f. Either way...

...my lagers usually take longer than 7 days to finish. I'd wait 2 weeks or until krausen is gone and airlock activity has subsided and it's clearing. Drop the temps down to as close to freezing as possible for a few days, then rack to secondary. Lager for as long as possible---a month is usually the minimum, but if you can go 2 or 3, it'll be even better. Then you can bottle.

What yeast are you using? 57°F is a bit high for most lager yeasts. You'll likely produce some diacetyl, esters, etc. So, do a good diacetyl rest near the end of primary fermentation (raise to ~65°F for a couple days). Most of my lagers take about 2 weeks to get through primary fermentation and diacetyl rest.

Secondary/lagering 2 weeks at 40°F is not ideal. It's best to lager in the low 30s° (32-34°F) and as far as time goes, a good rule of thumb is 1 week for each 8 points of OG. So, if your OG was 1.048, lager for 6 weeks. Then bottle condition for 3 weeks. If you use corn sugar, you can condition them at room temperature. If you lager for more than 6 weeks, it's best to add a bit of dry lager yeast to the bottling bucket (1/4 - 1/2 pack per 5 gallons). Lagers take patience!:)

Not sure of the yeast. I don't have it in front of me. How long for diacetyl rest and at what temp?

Back