Lager starter *I'm a starter n00b*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idigg

Reaction score
I need some validation here. I am making my first lager ever, and also will be doing my first yeast starter as well. I have a 2L flask and a stir plate.

Per Mr Malty and my brew software, it says I need 449 billion cells for my 1.056 Octoberfest.

Mr Malty says I need 2 packs, but no way will I pay $14 for yeast, I am cheap. I want to use one pack of Wyeast 2633. Since I have a smaller 2L flask, I will need to do a 2 stage propagation correct?

To get me to 453 cells, I could do this:

1st round - .5l or 500ml
2nd round - .5l or 500ml

That would get me to around 453 billion cells. Is this correct?

How do I know how much DME to use in each round, 1.035 is a safe starter gravity correct?

Sorry for all the questions, but if someone could set my mind at ease. I just spent a lot of a chest freezer, temp controller and starter setup I don't want to mess this up. Thanks

justin

1.035 is fine, great, etc. I think you have it down mostly. I think you want larger ending volume though.

Am I way off? I found yeastcalc.com and it says I should do 1.5liter starters for both the 1st and 2nd round to reach 475. Why am I so confused on this? :)

idigg said:
Am I way off? I found yeastcalc.com and it says I should do 1.5liter starters for both the 1st and 2nd round to reach 475. Why am I so confused on this? :)

Did that calc take the stir plat ed into account?

Either way the second step should be a higher gravity or higher volume than the the first.

Make it easy. 150 grams of DME in 1.5L of water. Propogate on your stir plate for a day or two. Chill it in your fridge for at least 24 hours until it drops clear (lager yeast takes a bit longer to drop clear). Decant the stale beer and add another 150 grams of DME in 1.5L of water (this volume with the volume you have in your flask from the original starter should just about fill up your 2L flask). Propogate on your stir plate again for another day or two. Chill this again and decant the stale beer once again and you'll have your count. If you're adding this up, usually takes me a week to do a double stepped lager starter. This will give you enough yeast for just about all average gravity lagers (1.050-1.060 SG).

Obviously boil your DME/water starter beer for 10-15 minutes, and chill before adding the yeast or adding it to the yeast.

sounds right

i'm doing a 1.055 oktoberfest this weekend as well

per yeastcalc i did 1L 1st step a few days ago and added 2L last night - i have a 3L flask so i didn't bother decanting (mfg date was 7/23/12 wyeast 2308)

i use 100g DME per liter of water and a pinch of yeast nutrient

don't forget the fermcap if you've got it

Awesome, thank you! I am going to brew on Thursday, so I will get the starter going tonight.

Back