Lager Fermentations - blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadster

Reaction score
I know that if you're brewing a high gravity ale, it's often good to use a blow off tube. Would the same be true for a high gravity lager? If lager fermentations are much slower than ale fernmentations, would the initial fermentation be intense enough to require it?

it's kinda hard to say, but in my experience, I have only needed a blowoff tube once in 2 years and never for a lager. depends on a lot of factors, but how big is your primary fermenter?

what temp will you be fermenting at? 50? I doubt you will need a blow off tube. My one experience with a lager was a much more subdoed fermentation

you in Rochester NY or MN??

Currently I have a lager at 50 deg F with an OG of 1.081 and WLP 833 as the yeast. I pitched a 3 liter starter into the guy and aerated well, normally when I do that with my 1.072 chocolate orange stout with WLP004 it goes NUTS and I have to blow off.

Given the above it will depend on your yeast, but I'm now into the 2nd day of fermentation on the guy and it has a nice 1 inch krausen on it, no need for a blow off too it seems. But like I said just watch it every day and see, every yeast will be different. I doubt you'll need one from my experience so far (though limited).

Lager fermentation is typically slow. Sometimes takes 2 to 3 weeks to finish. I had a interesting thing happen with my Harp clone. It was 1.056 OG and it finished to 1.010 FG inside of a week at 48 degrees with Wyeast Lager 2007 strain.

I definatly wasn't expecting that. I put it in the fridge and was going to forget about it, but I noticed a dramatic slowing of airlock activity after 5 days. I decided to take a reading and found it was at 1.012.

I pulled it out of the refridge for a 48 hour diacetal rest and it finished up to 1.010 in 24 hours of that rest.

I never saw the need for a blowoff tube even with that quick a ferment. I haven't a clue why it went that fast other than the possibility that I had more yeast cells in my starter than I thought.

I needed a blow off tube for my oktoberfest in a 6.5 gallon carbon at 50 degrees. Id use it better safe than sorry.

Back