Lager - D Rest - WLP830

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_caro

Reaction score
I have a Lager in the fridge at 9°C (48.2°F)
OG was 1.056
Expected FG is 1.014
Yeast is WLP 830
A hydrometer reading just taken shows 1.036 and it is going gang-busters.

Can some of you lager buffs give your thoughts on when (at what SG) you would give this a D-Rest and how you would go about raising the temperature (to what level and speed to achieve max temp) and for how long to leave it at max temp. My plan was to transfer to secondary when fermentation completed and then leave in fridge at 1°C (34°F) for about 6-8 weeks (while I will be out of town) before bottling.

I usually warm for D rest at about 75% completion, so in your case i would raise it about 10 degrees when it hits about 1.024. I let it rest there for about a week and then rack to secondary and chill to lager temp. I personally dont use any special method to raise temp. I just let it raise naturally as fast as it wishes to raise.

Thanks Itchy. Sounds good.
Any more thoughts appreciated

Same as Itchy. I got the same advice from Yooper, too. I wait for 75-80% completion and then bump it up to the low 60's for 3 or 4 days of D rest. It doesn't matter how fast you raise the temp. It does matter how fast you drop it. In general, not more than 5F per day. I usually drop 3F or 4F per day down to 35F. Then let it sit for a month or two depending on gravity. The higher the OG, the longer the lager. Somehow that sounds vaguely obscene ;)

Latest posts

Back