Lager boil question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratstud00

Reaction score
Found a Boston Lager clone kit from Rite Brew. The recipe is:

.5lb Caramel Malt 60L Steep 20 minutes at 155F
3lbs Gold DME 60 minute boil
3lbs Pilsen DME 60 minute boil
1oz Tettnanger hops 60 minute boil
1oz Tettnanger hops 30 minute boil
.5oz (use 1/2 of pkg.) Hal. Tradition hops Steep 10 minutes after boil, before cooling
.5oz (use 1/2 of pkg.) Hal. Tradition hops Dry hop 7 days
Lager Yeast Ferment at 52-56F, then lager 4-6 weeks

The recipe specifies that it is for a full 5 gallon boil, and if boiling less to only add half of the extract/fermentables initially, and to the rest with 10 minutes remaining to ensure proper hop utilization. I only have the capability to do a 2.5-3 gallon boil. So just to be sure I understand correctly, my recipe should be:

.5lb Caramel Malt 60L Steep 20 minutes at 155F
1.5lbs Gold DME 60 minute boil
1.5lbs Pilsen DME 60 minute boil
.5oz Tettnanger hops 60 minute boil
.5oz Tettnanger hops 30 minute boil

then the rest

1.5lbs Gold DME 10 minute boil
1.5lbs Pilsen DME 10 minute boil
.5oz Tettnanger hops 10 minute boil
.5oz Tettnanger hops 10 minute boil
.5oz (use 1/2 of pkg.) Hal. Tradition hops Steep 10 minutes after boil, before cooling
.5oz (use 1/2 of pkg.) Hal. Tradition hops Dry hop 7 days
Lager Yeast Ferment at 52-56F, then lager 4-6 weeks

Does this look correct?

You can do that with the extract, or you can add the gold syrup at the beginning and the other extract at the end- it really doesn't matter.

I'd suggest instead of adding it with 10 minutes left to add it at flame out. First, if you add it at 10 minutes it will stop the boil and take time to come back up to boil. Secondly, you only need to add it at flame out so it's hot enough to pasteurize the DME, and it will help cool the wort a bit for you before you start chilling.

I'm not sure why you'd halve the hops- I'm pretty sure you just use them as directed. It's the extract that can be added later in a partial boil.

You can add your flame out hops first, turn off the flame, and add the DME. It really doesn't matter which order you add them but if you add the hops when the wort is hottest, you will get some isomerization out of them. It's not significant, though, so it really doesn't matter.

Back