Lager appears to be done fermenting but yeast won't drop out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefeater

Reaction score
Hello!

I've had a bohemian lager in the bucket for 24 days now. 48 degrees for 21, then 2 days at 60 and yesterday I started lowering the temperature again. 47 today and my plan is to continue dropping it because the beer is allready drier than my plan. OG was 1.052 and now it's 1.012. I was hoping for 13-14.
100% pils malt, double decoction w/infusion and rests at 129, 147, 158 and 169 degrees. WLP800.

Not much activity but there's still yeast floating on the beer:
yeast4.jpg

I have never had this much yeast on top of a beer as attenuated as this. Haven't used this yeast before, though, but wlp830 and dry lager yeasts.
I had hoped to be able to rack this to a secondary (keg) for lagering tomorrow and then reuse yeast from it on saturday, but I'm not sure if I should touch it... Or maybee I should top-crop this yeast and supplement some from the bottom (there's a nice layer there too).

What would you do? go ahead or leave it like this for another week?

I've been seeing this with my ale yeasts. I rack out from underneath it, and haven't had any problems. Top harvesting is probably a good idea, too.

Are you sure fermentation is done? If it isn't, that could be why you still have krausen. Try crashing it to a lower temperature if you are looking to shut it down.

Same picture today.. there must be some fermenting going on, albeit slow. I'm waiting it out. Guess I'll end up with a dry beer instead of a full bodied one. Could have been worse!
Mashing higher next time I attempt this.

I had the same thing happen to my pils with dry lager yeast. When it hit 1.011 I just racked it. I know lagers are slow but I had a deadline (superbowl beer). Whether it was the right move, I don't know, but if you are at the gravity you want I don't see the harm in racking it to a keg for lagering now.

I saw this with a Kolsch yeast too but I just gave it more time to drop out. After 2 weeks I just gave the bucket a shake every day and it dropped out by the end of week 3. That was my first experience with a ferment at 60F. YMMV.

Back