Lag Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWeather3

Reaction score
I just finished my first batch of English brown ale last night. It was a partial grai/extract kit that included Nottingham dry yeast. I can see tiny bubbles forming in the airlock but not the vigorous bubbling I envisioned. I don't know what to expect since this is my first batch in a 5 gal size(used small2gal Mr.beer kit first time). I was wondering if anyone knew the expected lag time or is tiny bubbles what I should expect? temp 70

24 - 48 hours isn't unusual.

Most my beers, even without a starter start, bubbling the airlock within the first 10 hours. Yesterday I pitched a gallon starter and it took off in about 2 hours.

I used the same kind of yeast on Friday. It took 24 hours for anything and after 36 hours it looked like this.
hausale.jpg

my last 2 packets of nottingham took way to long for my liking to take off. They did take off but it was 3 days later. There have been a bunch a people with issues using nottingham search around the yeast fermentation forum and you'll find plenty of info there. I'm going to avaoid using notty for a while until things hopefully get ironed out. Keep in mind that both times I didn't have to repitch but I did get a smell that I didn't like and it has only happened these 2 times. Another side note the last time where it took a while to take off was a 10 gallon batch split into 2 carboys and the US-04 took off like a camp so I don't think it was an issue with the wort

Back