lag time concerns - inadvertent under-pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowdycactus

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed an IPA with an expected OG of 1.060 or so (I usually come in around 72-75% efficiency). It ended up coming in at 1.074, which was quite shocking. I used Wyeast 1272 and prepared a 1.5L starter. As of now, it's been about 18 hours since I pitched and still no bubbling in the blow-off. I'm concerned - my lag times are usually less than 12 hours.

I wonder if it could be due to the higher than anticipated gravity, or maybe I just didn't aerate enough. I'm worried that the higher-than-expected gravity means that I've inadvertently under-pitched the yeast.

Either way, if I don't see any activity by 24 hours, should I throw in some more yeast? Also, would it be detrimental to aerate a bit more if fermentation hasn't really kicked into gear yet? Do I risk oxidation if I do that? I typically use a carb stone hooked up to an aquarium pump to pump in ambient air, run through a HEPA filter.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If I were you, I would sit back and not worry. It will make beer and it will likely be as good as if you had hit 1.060. It'll be fine.

How did you aerate? The yeast need the O2 during the lag period to reproduce. If you didn't aerate well, that could combine with a slight under pitch to extend the lag time.

I second leaving it alone. 18-24 hours lag isn't that big of a deal. If it's doing nothing after 72 hours (confirmed by hydro) then you have a reason to worry.

Slightly underpitching isn't going to impact lag time. In my experience, a long lag time means I did something to piss off the yeast, and they're on strike. Re-pitched too many times, over-chilled, temp swings, etc. Basically ALL of the yeast are unhappy and unhealthy. You can drastically underpitch healthy yeast and still have a short lag time.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

So I arrived home yesterday evening to find that there was still no bubbling in the blow-off. I usually ferment in a glass carboy, but this time I'm fermenting in a bucket (it's been years since I've done this) because my previous batch was taking a bit longer than expected to move through primary fermentation. Long story short, I started messing around with the blow off tube and all of the sudden it starts bubbling pretty steadily. Apparently I had too much of the blow-off tubing submerged in the water - which I didn't realize was possible, but you live and learn I suppose. Anyway, I suspect that it had been fermenting long before that and the CO2 found other ways to escape since the bucket probably isn't 100% air-tight. The only problem now is that I don't know exactly when fermentation kicked off, but that's a non-issue compared to a failed fermentation. And I'm thankful I didn't wake up to a popped bucket top and beer on the ceiling (this has happened once before).

I'll still be interested to see just how well it ferments down given that I started much higher than anticipated. If I finish in the low 1.020's, is there anything I can do to drop a few more points? I don't want a sweet IPA.

Thanks to all who've responded so far.

Back