Lactic Acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinhaak

Reaction score
More questions on the Gose I'm going to be brewing.

On p. 159 of "Brewing with Wheat," a recipe is given suggesting adding Lactic Acid at the boil. This will be the first time I'm working with anything that isn't ordinary yeast, and I'm wondering:

• Is Lactic Acid the same as Lactobacillus?

• If it is, a lot of what I have read suggests that Lactobacillus dies at that high of heat. (Which leads me to think that it must be different).

• Is Lactic Acid the same as Lactobacillus?

Yes, latobacillus creates lactic acid. However the WLP, and Wyeast you are thinking of is not the right thing to add to a boil.

• If it is, a lot of what I have read suggests that Lactobacillus dies at that high of heat. (Which leads me to think that it must be different).

To lower the pH you would want to add acidulated malt to your mash or do a sour mash. A sour mash is possible, but could go horribly wrong. Acid malt is covered in lactic acid. You can add acid malt to your mash. Or I add 1/2 lb in a hop sock for 5 gallons to primary before I add any yeast for about 2 days. Then I pull out the acid malt and pitch the yeast. Or add the WLP, or Wyeast lactic acid to primary with the yeast.

Lactic acid is not the same as Lactobacillus. Lactobacillus is a bacteria that converts sugars to Lactic acid.

Yes you would kill Lactobacillus with high heat. Lactic acid however is stable at boiling temperatures.

Back