Lactic acid yeast: Hanseniaspora and Wickerhamomyces

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsock

Reaction score
Recently brewed my first batch of beer soured with lactic-acid-producing yeast, from Wild Pitch Yeast, instead of bacteria (batch details). While the acidity was good (pH 3.3-3.5), and fermentation finished in a reasonable amount of time (2-3 weeks) the flavor wasn’t spectacular with either. Not a big deal in the portion of the batch with a big dose of Amarillo and Mosaic, but without the hops both were a bit cidery.

Anyone else using Hanseniaspora and Wickerhamomyces? Tips on pitching rates, aeration, temperatures etc.?

I haven't had a chance to use this yet, but have you heard of any other strains that might be coming out in the near future? Do you think another day or two would've dropped the pH down a bit more?

I haven't had a chance to use this yet, but have you heard of any other strains that might be coming out in the near future? Do you think another day or two would've dropped the pH down a bit more?

The ones without extra hops were still at room temperature (bottle conditioned) until the day before I did the tasting. It seems like if anything most of the pH drop happens before most of the gravity drop. Once the sugars it is able to consume are gone, lactic acid production is finished.

Mainiacal Yeast was also on the MTF Podcast, but it doesn't look like they have any available at the moment. Hoping other yeast labs get into the same game.

Wow, i'm surprised the pH got that low. What was the gravity of the beer you brewed? I wonder how high of a gravity this yeast will ferment?

Wow, i'm surprised the pH got that low. What was the gravity of the beer you brewed? I wonder how high of a gravity this yeast will ferment?

1.052 to start, haven't seen a tolerance listed.

Mike I'm still waiting for mainiacal to get some more of his blend in before I try this stuff out. Though I am super interested to try it! Glad to see you already on the ball!

One of the local breweries used a lactic acid yeast on a commercial scale (Saucy Brew Works, Drifter Series) and the one I had tasted fruity like grapes with a bit of apples. ... From Wild Pitch Yeast but I don't know what exactly they used.
It was unusual but enjoyable. I'll be following these yeast with interest.

One of the local breweries used a lactic acid yeast on a commercial scale (Saucy Brew Works, Drifter Series) and the one I had tasted fruity like grapes with a bit of apples. ... From Wild Pitch Yeast but I don't know what exactly they used.
It was unusual but enjoyable. I'll be following these yeast with interest.

Glad a few breweries have scaled up successfully with these strains. Near me in DC, Hellbender uses Wickerhamomyces. Haven't gotten over there to taste them yet.

Back