Lacking hop flavor and aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
I brewed a pale ale on 7/31 and used 7oz of hops in the last 10min of the boil with 5oz of them going in at 180*F for a 30 min stand and I just took a gravity sample and it was lacking hop flavor and aroma. How can this be? Mostly just tasted like yeasty green beer.
Grain bill was 7lb 2-row, 2lb red wheat and 1.25lb Vienna.
Hops were 1oz Wai-Iti @10, 1oz wai-Iti @ 5 and 3oz wai-iti and 2oz Amarillo in the steep.
Ferm temp was controlled in a chest freezer starting @65 and rising to 68 over the first 3 days and I used wlp-001.
Plan now is to dry hop with 3oz Wai-Iti, and 1oz each Cascade and Amarillo to see if I can save this beer. Not currently happy with the flavor.
Here is my finished water profile. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1439253921.372447.jpg

Well Bayless it certainly sounds like you know your stuff. Carbonation can make a huge difference in aroma, but that doesn't sound like the case. Dry hopping will of course make a big difference, so maybe try that first and let us know after that.?.?.?

Well Bayless it certainly sounds like you know your stuff. Carbonation can make a huge difference in aroma, but that doesn't sound like the case. Dry hopping will of course make a big difference, so maybe try that first and let us know after that.?.?.?

Honestly I'm pretty new at this. Been at it about a year now but I do try to read as much about the brewing process and learn from other homebrewers as much as I can. My wife says I love my beer more than her!! Lol[emoji23][emoji23]

What are Wai-Iti hops like? I've never heard of them. Maybe they aren't what you were hoping for?

Also if it tastes like yeasty green beer maybe it is just yeasty green beer. Let it clean up.

Water profile looks good. I've never heard of those hops either. Hop stands were a big improvement for me. Did you have your pot covered for the steep? Did you stir during the steep? Any O2 introduced at any point after fermentation slowed down? Big hoppy beers can be tricky. Deff dry hop though as aroma can affect taste perception. It's taken me a long time to get good at hoppy beers.

The hops are from New Zealand and are supposed to be mandarin/lime/citrus.
I did stir a little by moving my IC around a little here and there and the lid was on the pot the whole time while chillin and steeping.
No oxygen introduced other than when I opened the bucket to take a gravity sample. Which was right on the money. OG was 1.058 and gravity at sample was 1.012

Also if it tastes like yeasty green beer maybe it is just yeasty green beer. Let it clean up.

I think I'd agree with this. If you have a secondary, rack it and give some extra time time to clear up. If it still tastes yeasty after 5 days or so, you may have had a problem with your yeast.

Usually I get yeasty flavors by fermenting too high, and once from pitching poor yeast.

I think I may have found the problem today when I opened it to dry hop. It has a very thin but noticeable film on top of the beer. Co2 bubbles coming up would stop at the film and there were a few suspect looking bubbles.
Not sure what's up at this point so I elected to put the lid back on and let it ride another week or 2 before I make a decision. Leaving for vacation tomorrow morning so it will be left alone. Hate opening it up anyway.
Say a prayer and hope the beer gods are with me. If its infected I don't mind dumping it and tossing the bucket. I would rather do that then waste another 6-8 oz hops

Back