Lab testing wild hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk_rockin2001

Reaction score
I was directed, by an old lady, to a place where she said there were wild hops. Well... I found it. And I've never seen anything like it! At the thickest point there are so many hop vines that they are literally pulling 2"-3" trees completely sideways. So I got to looking around and I bet there are hundreds of pounds of wild hops on just one road. There appear to be 2 different types, but the majority of them are all the same. If the cost isn't too insane I'd like to send in some samples to get tested so I could know exactly what kind it is, AA%, etc. Anyone know who to send it to?

yeah, there is a place, not too expensive, can't seem to find it again. just google around and you'll find it I'm sure...

I was directed, by an old lady, to a place where she said there were wild hops. Well... I found it. And I've never seen anything like it! At the thickest point there are so many hop vines that they are literally pulling 2"-3" trees completely sideways. So I got to looking around and I bet there are hundreds of pounds of wild hops on just one road. There appear to be 2 different types, but the majority of them are all the same. If the cost isn't too insane I'd like to send in some samples to get tested so I could know exactly what kind it is, AA%, etc. Anyone know who to send it to?

wow, I which I live near you! If you think they're good take some rhizomes in the spring!
It's unlikely any testing center (that didn't do genetics) could tell you for sure anything but the AA levels. They may have a good guess based on AA's and experience, but that's all they could offer. It could potentially be a unique bread; it's clearly been there for some time. Are there male plants present, or is it just two females that have shot off runners and become crazy big? pics?

Brew with them and let us know if they're any good. I went to Eastern and still have some friends down there. I might be interested in digging up a rhizome if you're willing th share the location.

I believe most wild hops are a cluster variety....speaking of cluster. I've had the pleasure of sampling a wild hop brew from a fellow homebrewer. The hops came from multiple sources he found while out hiking....the resulting beer was pure cat piss and not in a good way. He said he tried to "bottle" dry hop an already bottled pale ale with a few of these cones to figure out if they were suitable or not, apparently he thought so after he let them dry hop for a week or so and tasted the beer. He decided to brew that day with them and went whole hog on the lot and porked his kettle with fresh cones. Bleh.

I've been looking around here for wild hops as a nice inexpensive source. Haven't found any. However I have an aunt that lives in Charleston... perhaps I should visit.

Did the sun part the clouds? Did God speak to you in that location? Sounds like you have a Secret Garden, hope they brew well!

That is amazing, hopefully for your benefit they turn out to be excellent! I had a friend who's uncle found some wild hops years ago but they tasted awful. Lets hope these taste great then you could have an awesome supply!

Well when I found them last year, it was too late, most of them were getting brown spots on them, but this year I'm prepared! I'll try to make a fresh hop with them, or at least use them for bittering hops. I still don't know what they are, but I don't really care, they'll be awesome!

Back