La Cumbre Elevated IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGEduardo

Reaction score
I searched the forum, but I was surprised that this local "whale" beer didn't have it's own clone thread. The brewmaster recently released his recipe, so I plan to give it a shot in the near future.

Anyone else brew a clone of this yet? It's amazing.

http://draftmag.com/la-cumbre-elevated-ipa/

http://beerandbrewing.com/VUqTKygAAHYoUYHe/article/la-cumbre-brewings-elevated-ipa-recipe

Jeff Erway, president and brewer at La Cumbre Brewing in Albuquerque, New Mexico, has graciously shared the recipe for his award-winning IPA. We’ve converted it to yield a 5-gallon (19-liter) batch size with 72 percent brew-house efficiency.
ALL-GRAIN

OG: 1.07
FG: 1.015
IBUs: 100+
ABV: 7.3%
MALT/GRAIN BILL

10.75 lb (4.88 kg) Canada Malting Superior Pilsen malt
1.2 lb (544 g) Rahr wheat malt
0.55 lb (250 g) Durst Munich II
0.55 lb (250 g) Hugh Bairds Carastan (30L)
HOPS SCHEDULE

1.75 oz (50 g) Columbus hops at FWH
1.25 oz (35 g) Columbus at 30 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Chinook at 15 minutes with 1 tablet Whirlfloc T and yeast nutrient
1 oz (28 g) each Centennial, Chinook, and Columbus at flameout
1 oz (28 g) each Simcoe, Mosaic, J-17, Centennial, and Nelson Sauvin at dry hop (6 days)
DIRECTIONS

Mash at 151°F (66°C). Sparge with 168°F (76°C) hot liquor.

Boil for 90 minutes. Cool to 66°F (19°C) and oxygenate to 12 ppm. Pitch the yeast and let ferment for 5 days, raising the temperature to 72°F (22°C) by day 4. On day 6, rack to secondary with dry hops. Let sit on dry hops at 70°F (21°C) for 3 days. Crash to 32°F (0°C) on day 4 and add silicic acid (sold as Biofine Clear) on day 5 and let sit for 2 days. Transfer to keg and carbonate to 2.5 volumes (about 11 psi at 38°F/3°C) and serve as fresh as possible.
YEAST

Your favorite American ale yeast
BREWER’S NOTES

I really like Hugh Bairds Carastan (30L) malt, but if you can’t get it, try for a very low-color caramel malt. Albuquerque water is around 170 ppm of CaCO3, and we put it through a carbon filter. Use gypsum at FWH to adjust your water chemistry, if desired.

To boost the IBUs, you can add HopShots at 90 minutes.

J-17 is an experimental South African hops. It is woody with notes of blueberry. I really don’t think there is anything like it around, which is why I am so sad that I have less than 1,000 pounds of it left. Part of the point of using so many different hops is to account for changes, so I would try Galaxy, Waimea, Rakau, Riwaka, or Dr. Rudi in place of the J-17.
AUTHOR: Jeff Erway

:tank:

Haven't had it, but great to see the recipe is out. Will throw it in the queue on short notice for sure. I am surprised the FG is 1.015, would have thought drier. But I suppose HT can come in at 1.014...

According to BeerSmith the amount of hops in this recipe would produce IBUs of about 170 could this be right?
But the recipe says 100 IBUs.
Does anyone know if he is using pellets or leaf hops?

Above 100 IBUs it’s all irrelevant... most ever measured in a beer is 90ish.

Definitely pellets.

mUfempV.jpg

I brewed this but toned down the FWH only so the recipe was exactly 100 IBUs. I also overshot the OG so it ended up being a double. Man, it is a delicious beer! I steeped the flameout additions for 30 minutes at 160°F. Brewday to glass in 14 days (kegged). Fined with gelatin. I highly recommend it. Also, mine finished at 1.013, WLP090 is a beast.

Back