Kveik pancakes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andres Falconer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, it's mardi gras, or... pancake day! The only variety of yeast I have in my fridge is some harvested Hornindal kveik. Will it work on my pancakes as an alternative to ordinary bakers yeast? Any advice or recipes welcome!

How much did you use, did you proof it? How long did you let it rise for and at what temps?
I'm surprised it was that quick.

I gather it was a clean yeast harvest, no trub?

Recipe perhaps?

How much did you use, did you proof it? How long did you let it rise for and at what temps?
I'm surprised it was that quick.

I gather it was a clean yeast harvest, no trub?

Recipe perhaps?
I used a good blob, maybe a tablespoon or two. It was good clean yeast, even if collected from the bottom and not washed. This same harvest has already served some 3 brews. I love it!

Straight out of the fridge, proofed for some 15' and left on a warm tile for about 3 hours. Temp around 28-30C (+/-85F)

Our pancake day pancakes do. They rise nicely and are fluffy. Milk, flour, eggs, butter, sugar... and kveik. All done by eye, jointly with the wife.
Yeah, that's the way I do them, as most things cooking, by sight and feel. Once you know what a good batter looks like it's the best.
For things that are a bit more critical I do use recipes and weigh or measure ingredients more exactly.

I used a good blob, maybe a tablespoon or two. It was good clean yeast, even if collected from the bottom and not washed. This same harvest has already served some 3 brews. I love it!

Straight out of the fridge, proofed for some 15' and left on a warm tile for about 3 hours. Temp around 28-30C (+/-85F)
Thanks! That's quite a lot of yeast for a few pancakes! ;)

Wow that’s interesting! I’ve never had pancakes with yeast in them.
I never imagined that yeast pancakes were unusual before reading the responses to my post. Yes, most recipes call for baking soda, but I just checked and there are plenty of yeast pancake recipes on the web. It looks like Anglo/Irish recipes call for soda, while traditional Eastern European ones often use yeast. And, of course, the French have their crepes pancake-flat :)

Latest posts

Back