Kriek Lambic question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h-bar

Reaction score
I want to make a traditional kriek, and I am aware that these can take up to 3 years to mature. However, I can't dedicate my fermentation chamber for that entire time. Would it get undrinkably funky/sour if the bulk aging happened at room temperature (~75 F)? I live in a warm place with no cold basement or anything like that, unfortunately...

I don't know about the optimum temperature for bulk aging, but part of the character of lambic is developed via a long primary fermentation. By keeping the beer on the yeast cake, you cause autolysis. The brett can then break those chemicals down into complex esters and higher alcohols. Invest in another carboy and do it right.

-Kelso

I too live in a warm climate where my house is kept at about 75 degrees. I've had no issue aging sours at that temperature. The main issue with elevated temperatures would be acetobacter growth, but if you are using pure cultures and making sure there is no oxygen in your fermentors, you should be okay.

I have a 5 gallon glass carboy. I was planning on doing a normal month-long primary at 65˚F, bulk age, rack on to cherries, and bulk age some more. I want to use a combination of US-05 and Wyeast Lambic blend. There shouldn't be any acetobacter.

You will probably be better off not using the S-05, and just using with the Lambic Blend - No Starter.

I have not made a kriek yet, but I have about 30 gallons of various sours ranging from "lambics" to flanders brown ales, and a few in between. I live in AZ and it is hot pretty much all year.

I can say that as long as the initial fermentation is tempurature controlled you should be fine.

Also if you can I would try a sour blend from the yeast bay or ecy, they tend to produce better sours the first time around than wyeasts normal lineup.

Okay, I'll look into those suppliers instead, and leave out US-05.

wyeast is OK, but you have to waite a realllyy long time to see any good flavor or acid development.

I dont have any personal experience with the yeast bay, but I have heard nothing but good reviews from their stuff. Also since a lot of their brett is isolated from traditional lambics, it makes for a good microbe source.

Also if you drink sour beers, the dregs from any lambic type beer are an excellent addition to a sour

From experience I've bulk aged for a couple years at ambient with no ill effects. I would pitch your bugs rights away and skip the US-05. Also I would wait until the beer is where you want it sour wise before adding fruit. Age on fruit for approx 2-4 months. Package, wait & enjoy.

Back