Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph524

Reaction score
Hello
I am wondering about krausen with all grain BIAB. I have been doing extract for a couple years. Switched to BIAB this year. I read about a lot of people using blow off tube and such. Since I have been doing BIAB my beers have been better. But a lot less krausen maybe an inch but not much more. Less then the extract brews. Everything ferments to spec gravity wise. Big brew 8% or 5% all the same. Is this common?

Hello
I am wondering about krausen with all grain BIAB. I have been doing extract for a couple years. Switched to BIAB this year. I read about a lot of people using blow off tube and such. Since I have been doing BIAB my beers have been better. But a lot less krausen maybe an inch but not much more. Less then the extract brews. Everything ferments to spec gravity wise. Big brew 8% or 5% all the same. Is this common?

I don't know the answer to your question. If your beer tastes good and attenuates appropriately for the type of beer you are making, I don't think it should be a concern.

Maybe the difference you are noticing is because the the wort make up of an all grain brew vs an extract brew. Anecdotaly, I think I get messier/bigger krausens when I get a lot of trub in the fermenter. So, maybe your brew in bag is filtering a lot of that trub out -- I don't know.

Just make sure you are pitching a lot of good healthy yeast. Some beers I need a blow off, others not. I've never seen a correlation to any one variable.

Yeast never krausen the same. Aeration, fermentation temp, mash temp... All change how even the same strain will krausen. Like RmikeVT said if you are not having any issues with stalling or off flavors you are good.

Back