Krausen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scandixbrewer

Reaction score
I understand the beer is, more or less, finished fermenting when FG is reached. Sometimes I read about people waiting for krausen to fall though, as if that's a sign too. What should I do if FG is fine and stable but there still is quite a bit of krausen on top of the beer in fermenter? Do I have to wait longer or is it okay to go on bottling?

The only way to tell if fermentation is complete and you’re ready to bottle is to check your FG at least twice and make sure it hasn’t changed. You’ll want to check it 2-3 days apart and if it hasn’t changed you’re good to bottle.
if you cold crash before bottling it will cause some stuff to drop out of suspension in your beer, but also you can leave whatever you want in your fermenter while racking to your bottling bucket

Thank you, so I guess what you're saying is... never mind the krausen, just go with stable FG?

If your gravity is stable and at a sensible reading, go ahead and bottle. Certain yeasts have kraeusens that fall very slowly, others quickly. It depends, really. But you're always safe to bottle if fermentation is complete.

I've had thick krausens that just didn't want to fall. Even after a cold crash it wanted to cling to the top until I bumped the bucket. FG reading is what you need.

Back