Krausen over flowed and now there's mold almost everywhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WahineArt

Aloha Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I had a good seal on my primary fermentor bucket but apparently I did not. With 6 previous brews under my belt I didn't feel the need to check on this latest one as often as usual because nothing like this had ever happened before. I could tell I was in trouble when I went out to the garage and my little fermenting refridgerator had a dried up puddle under it. I opened the door and it was painfully obvious that the krausen had over flowed the bucket and had not gone thru the blow off tube that I use. The next obvious thing was the smell of bread and all the warm fuzzies growing on the bottom of the fridge. Since my brew had been in the bucket fermentor for 2 weeks I knew it was done so I pulled the bucket out of the fridge and carefully opened the lid. There was no more krausen, it had all disaapated and there was no mold on the inside BUT there was mold all along the top lip of the bucket :( Since the brew seemed ok with no mold in it I went ahead and kegged it. I think it will be ok so if I get sick I will let you know :eek:

Since the brew seemed ok with no mold in it I went ahead and kegged it. I think it will be ok so if I get sick I will let you know :eek:

To the best of my knowledge (from what I've read), nothing harmful can really survive in beer. It'll taste nasty but it won't kill you.

Back