Krausen and DME vs LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rdracera1

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a difference in the volume of Krausen when using one type of malt extract as opposed to the other? I'm currently working on my 4th brew, a Kolsch, which is also what my 3rd batch was. 3rd was 100% LME and the 4th had three pounds of DME. There's a pronounced differences in the amount of Krausen between the two. The 3rd's Krausen was about an inch thick. The 4th's is a solid 3.5 - 4 inches.

I'm not worried about anything... I'm just new and notice every little detail which makes me wonder about why something happens.

Other details:
3rd batch
Wyeast 1338 European Ale Yeast (no starter)

4th batch
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Yeast (starter made with 1/3 cup of DME) Only pitched 1/2 of starter.

Thoughts??
:mug:

Krausen also depends on yeast. I believe that Wyeast's Kolsch is supposed to be a true top cropping strain so all the yeast floats to the top more so than other ale yeasts except for maybe wheat yeasts. I'm going to say its comparing apples and oranges and the only way to get at it semi-scientifically would be to make two of the same batches of beer--one with DME and one with LME--and split a single starter between them.

I noticed that the wheat I made with DME had alot more boil over potential than the LME kits I've made so far. But then it might be just a wheat thing too.

Malts very. Any malt or extract that is intended to improve head retention (wheat) will create a large krausen. It's just foam after all.

Back