Krausen after 2wks in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmkimball

Reaction score
I have a dubbel that stopped bubbling after about 8days (fermentation temps were around 70F). However, when the primary was opened there was still a pretty good head on top. Thinking fermentation was done, I skimmed the krausen off and racked into the secondary. Now, 2weeks+ in the secondary (@60F) there is still a head on top that not only remains after agitation but actually beefs up a bit.

My question is, should I allow the head to fall and the beer to clarify then bottle?
-Or-
Should I consider the time in the secondary an extension of the primary, wait for the head to fall, rack into another secondary and proceed as normal?

As an aside: Is the best indicator of the end of fermentation (1) the decreased bubbling of the airlock (as most guides recommend), (2) the krausen falling, or (3) the lack of change in gravity? For those brewers that use open fermentation (thus removing option 1), which of the other 2 options do they use? Just curious.

Thanks

have you tasted this or taken a hydrometer reading (if you are the hydrometer weilding type)?

this sounds really strange, and I wonder if something might be wrong here. a nice big taste of this might be enlightening; really sweet? still fermenting. really sour? possible infection. pretty good? it's probably aout done fermenting and you can either rack it again, or let it sit where it is for another week and then bottle it.

the last question you asked "when do I rack to secondary" has been talked about a bunch on here, and each person has their own method(s) for when to do this. No one way is The Right Way.

I have my own weird racking criteria, but I'll let you look at some older threads on the question and decide what is right for you.

-walker

The only way to 'know' if fermentation is complete is to check the SG with a hydrometer, everthing else is just guess work. That being said, I haven't used mine in the last 3 or 4 batches. They are all recipies that I have been doing before so I have a feel for when they should be done. I am planning on doing and Oktoberfest next and since I have never done one, I will be using the hydrometer to check when I move to the secondary before lagering to make sure it is done.

As far as a krausen in the secondary, I wouldn't worry too much. Like Walker said, give it a taste. You can tell alot from what the brew tastes like.

rmkimball said:
As an aside: Is the best indicator of the end of fermentation (1) the decreased bubbling of the airlock (as most guides recommend), (2) the krausen falling, or (3) the lack of change in gravity?
IMHO, it's done when the bubbles are less than 1 per minute AND the krauzen has fallen, or the SG has stopped dropping AND you're near your target FG.

In this case, the krauzen that you skimmed off the primary was an indication that your fermentation wasn't done, and it's reappearance in the secondary confirms that. Personally, I'd let it go till the krauzen goes, then rack it again and give it two more weeks.

Ran some tests. Gravity is 1.012 (FG target 1.010 - 1.018) so it looks like it's on target. Tasted young, but no off flavors. The beer is still hazy (will eventually need a crash). When I put the theif in, the head broke right up and collapsed.

My plan: Treat this "secondary" fermentation as an extension of the primary. Rerack and give it about 2wks to clear. Crash and bottle. Sound good?

Thanks for all of your input.

Latest posts

Back