Kraeusen just hangin around

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamSuds

Reaction score
Brewed a brown ale extract kit last Sat so it has been 8 days--Fermentation started great and all seems OK--kit instructions say after 1-2 weeks when ferm stops and kraeusen falls I can move to secondary. I plan to do a gravity read but the kraeusen is about an inch thick yet and has beeen for days. Airlock activity is little to none. Keep waiting? Thanks.

step 1. Ignore kit directions
Step 2. leave it alone for a couple more weeks.
Step 3. Cold crash it for a couple days

What's the gravity? 1) Airlock Means Nothing at all, it's a valve, not a fermentation gauge. 2) Some krausens can linger long after fermentation is complete, Belgian Wit yeast is notorious for that, I've had it sit with a krausen for 3 weeks after the beer reached terminal gravity. 3) 8 Days is hardly any time, if you had a 3 day lag in your yeast like may folks do the beer's really only been fermenting for 5 days...hardly anything. 4) Like Monkey said, ignore your kit instrcutions and leave you beer in primary for a month, and you'll be really happy with the results, or if you secondary, take a gravity on day 12 and again at day 14 and if it's remained the same, then rack it to secondary.

But having a karausen at 8 days is not uncommon.

I brewed an oatmeal stout with white labs yorkshire squares yeast. Had krausen for a month.

Thanks guys! Anyone watching the Super Bowl? I'm in and out. New to the beer thing (brewing at least) and am really enjoying it. Bottled a batch of cream ale this AM--my first batch.

I made an oatmeal stout and a baltic porter. It has that Sam Smith character to it. Both are outstanding. Glad I froze a bunch of the yeast.

How was the yeast? I'm kinda thinking about a Yorkshire style mild, and that would prolly be a good yeast for it.

I did a brown ale using that white labs yorkshire square yeast. Fermentation went beautifully, and I'm not picking up on any strange esters, even though it was batch #1 and I let it ferment at a higher temp than I probably should have (ambient 68 degrees). I may have some fusels, hard to say at this point.

However, I don't have anything approaching a final verdict yet - it's only been in bottles for a week, and I'm not intending on cracking one for at least two more.

Back