Kombucha Kegging and Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a home brewer thinking of selling my kombucha on a small scale for the moment.

I'm planning on using corny kegs to store my kombucha for 2F(also probably to force carbonate). Have been trying to find information on sanitizing my kegs and lines but it's been hard to come by. Any Kombucha keggers willing to share how they clean and sanitize their kegs? I was looking at star san or iodophor but neither seem to be available here in India. I have been using Synthetic white vinegar and hot water to clean and sanitize my glass fermentation jars . Can i do the same with the kegs and lines?

Is star san or iodophor( both are supposed to be No Rinse sanitizers) safe to use with kombucha? Maybe i could use either and then run warm water ( or a water + synthetic vinegar mix) through the tubing and kegs to clean out any residual sanitizer?

First, kombucha has any number of wild microbes, so the need to sanitize things that come into contact with it is questionable, especially since it's usually open to air anyway.

Regarding sanitizers:
Vinegar does not sanitize.

Both Star San and Iodophor are good no-rinse sanitizers that can be used with kombucha. Rinsing afterwards defeats the purpose of using a sanitizer.

If you can't get either of those, you could use 1oz of vinegar AND 1oz of bleach in 5 gallons, which is also a no-rinse sanitizer. Mix in the vinegar first. Use it in a well-ventilated area.

First, kombucha has any number of wild microbes, so the need to sanitize things that come into contact with it is questionable, especially since it's usually open to air anyway.

Regarding sanitizers:
Vinegar does not sanitize.

Both Star San and Iodophor are good no-rinse sanitizers that can be used with kombucha. Rinsing afterwards defeats the purpose of using a sanitizer.

If you can't get either of those, you could use 1oz of vinegar AND 1oz of bleach in 5 gallons, which is also a no-rinse sanitizer. Mix in the vinegar first. Use it in a well-ventilated area.

Thank you for your response. I might have to import the star san as my setup is a home set up and i might have to sanitize them in a small room with minimal ventilation.

I use a low foam called sani clean. Works tht same as star san. For corny kegs, i fill to the brim and let sit for 5 min. Then i use the co2 to pump it out to clean the straw. I made a disconnect with a hose attached to dump the solution back into a bucket. Hope this helps.

Back