Kolsch > Pale Ale dry hop suggestion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just did my first all grain batch about 2 days ago with a basic Kolsch recipe of German Pilsner malt with a touch of wheat and flaked corn and used Saaz hops at 60 and 20 min. Long story but I have a basement area that had generally been a very consistent 58-64 degree range but the last few heat waves have taken it up to 66-67 range.

Question: will this "fruitify" my Kolsch too much with the higher temp? Should I look into dry hopping to give it more of a Pale Ale twist since it won't be a true Kolsch? I don't have a fridge so won't be able to lager it, best bet is to do secondary at same temp in the basement.

If I should dry hop, what type would go well with Saaz bitter base there to give it a good Pale Ale edge?

Or is it safe to try and keep it a straight Kolsch without dry hops?

Oh man, assuming you used a Kölsch yeast, that yeast is awesome at those temps. IME it is more fruity, but deliciously so.

Taste it when it finishes. If it's too fruity to you for a traditional Kölsch, dry hop with Saaz & Cascade, an ounce of each and you'll be rewarded.

If it reacts similarly to white lab's kolsch, it'll be just fine. Do you have a way to chill it down to mid to low 50s for cellaring/lagering for a a couple weeks? It'll be mightily hazy if you don't.

I had a kolsch that I brewed right before a big heat wave here, and I ended up being right at 68-70f for the whole primary fermentation. I racked to a carboy in my kegerator and dropped the temp gradually from 60 to 48. Resultant brew fit the BJCP flavor and aroma profile perfectly (in my somewhat biased opinion). And you can see how it turned out in the picture (of unfortunately low quality).

IMG00104-20120505-2231.jpg

Unfortunately I've got nothing for cellaring/lagering except that basement that is about 66-67 right now constantly, otherwise upstairs is 70+ right now. Might just end up with a hazy one, that was why I thought it might help with some dry hops to make it a little more pale aleish instead of a thick hazy kolsch attempt.

Back