Kolsch fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbonham

Reaction score
Hi all-

I've got a batch of Kolsch-style ale that's been chugging along for about 2 weeks with the temps held between 55 F initially, and now slowly up to about 60 degrees. I pitched Wyeast's 2565. Once the gravity is stable, are there any issues with transferring straight to the kegs, and dropping the temp to the mid 30's to age it for about a month while simultaneously force carbing over the last week or so of the cold aging? Thanks in advance.

DB

Should not be any issue, though you will wind up with more trub in the bottom of the keg by cold crashing in the keg vs cold crashing in carboy first. First few pints may be a little cloudy/yeasty.

No issue, and I would recommend cold-crashing in the keg over cold-crashing in the carboy. Cold-crashing in the carboy will suck in some measure of plain old air and risk oxidizing the beer. Racking to the keg warm, then putting the keg in the fridge on CO2 (after purging the head space, of course) will avoid this oxidation, since as the beer cools and contracts, it will simply suck in more CO2 from the tank/regulator, instead of regular air.

Back