Kitchenaid Mixer Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
So I bought SWMBO a kitchenaid artisan mixer yesterday (OK, it was for me, I love baking bread almost as much as I love making beer)

Anyways, I was flipping thru the booklet that came with it, and they sell a grain mill attachment :ban: Have any of you used this, and does it do a good job? I may have to pick one up for myself if it gets good reviews from all of you.

Take a look at the links in the similar threads box, below. We get about one of these threads evey 6 months or so.....Personally I think it would be a risk of an expensive piece of equipment, I doubt it would hold up to the poundage we need.

I have never heard a good thing about using the KA attachment for brewing. Monster Mill or any of the other task built ones on the market will give you the best results.

My well intentioned wife bought me one of those, as she had a KA mixer, and as the previous poster said, it's for making SMALL batches of flour. Also, it really is a flour mill, not a grain crusher, more like a Corona mill, so you'll end up with a lot of flour and ripped husks. I replaced it with a roller mill. 'Nuff said?

I have a kitchenaid mixer. I ruined the gearing once while trying to do pasta that was a little dry. Because of this, I have been very wary trying to do things that are not the mixer's forte.

A grain mill to make flour is not the same as a mill to grind brewing grains. You don't want alot of flour when doing mashes. Either use "grinders" specific to beermaking, or do a search for "corn grinder". You basically want to crack the grain, not pulverize it.

Save the mixer for making bread from your spend grains.

And, to quote one of my favorite bylines, "Use the search, Luke!" Seriously, 95% of what people want to know has already been answered several times.:mug:

Rich

Back