Kit vs. Custom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egg7

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'll apologize upfront, I'm sure this topic has been discussed numerous times but I wasn't having any luck searching the forums.

I've never brewed before and would like to give it a shot. Should I buy a kit or try and piece together my own individually? My concerns are such things as will a 5 gallon fermentor keep my satisfied for batches of beer to come, especially as my skill increases? Is the wort cooler, with the copper piping, it comes with a decent piece of equipment? If I buy this and down the road decide to start brewing all grain will I find myself scrapping the kit and re-buying upgraded versions of the equipment?

I know there's a lot of factors that could determine the answers to this question, but any info as a general rule of thumb would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you!

I would go kit to start and not get an IC at this point. Something like the BrewHouse kits are excellent kits, fairly easy and make great beer. Then you'll learn the hobby and if you'd like to expand at all.

B

EDIT

Oops - sorry I missed the mark here. I would say to go to your local supply store and get the minimum , likely in a kit and give things a whirl.

you'll still use all that equipment if you move to all grain later. I'd start out with a kit though and follow the instructions that come with it. Pick a style of beer that you like, read up some on homebrewing (and websites),watch videos, and then tweak the kits a little if you want. A lot of the beginner kits are good because they have everything you need to get started.

I got started with a basic kit that didn't have a chiller with it. Had no problems with it and still use it some thirty batches later. I started with kit lme kits moved to partial mashes and am now doing brew Ina bag. I have added a chiller and other bits and pieces but like I said am still using the bucket to ferment in.

Seems we are all in agreement, I would suggest doing a kit as well. This way you know it is going to be a good beer and comes with instructions. You want as little to worry about as possible for a first brew.

As for the equipment, when going to AG all you need is a Mash Tun (cooler conversion) and a full-boil sized pot, which you might already have.

Not certain what you are referring to with the wort chiller; some kits do come with it, some don't. You can save yourself a few bucks by making it yourself, but if you aren't worried about that then buy one, it is a one time purchase, one time expense.

Thanks everyone for the reply! I'll take your advice and go with the kit in the next week or so. I think I'll try an American Pale, but not sure yet.

Thanks again

When you get the kit, be sure to pick up an autosiphon if it's not included. It's only 10 bucks and it makes life a whole lot easier when racking.

Or buy a kit with ale pales with spigots. both my fermenters & bottling/secondary bucket have spigots. I also have an auto siphon in case it's needed,as with cooper's fermenters. I'd get a thermometer for use with the brew kettle. That way,when you do steeping grains,you can keep a good temp for the time required.
And a hydrometer for measuring OG (Original Gravity),& FG (Final Gravity). And when you get it,read the brewing instructions. Then ask questions on here,since some parts of those instruction sheets are wack...

I recommend a kit if you have the money to spend on it. You could maybe save some money by collecting used, homemade stuff, but you will probably want to get started right away.

Fermenters are normally 5 gallon, even it you go up to 10 gallon batches. Most people make 10 gallons of wort and then split the fermentation into 5 gallon fermenters.

I would get a wort chiller right away if you have the money. They are not very expensive, and can save lots of time during the brew day and you will likely continue to use it forever. Just make sure to get one big enough to chill 10 gallons if you think you will go up in batch size later.

Most people make 10 gallons of wort and then split the fermentation into 5 gallon fermenters.

I'm not necessarily convinced that this is true. My impression is that most people do 5-gallon batches.

My advice to the OP is to find a friend who already brews, borrow the equipment, and get an extract kit (perhaps with specialty grains). Brewing from the extract kit should be straightforward. As for the equipment, if you like brewing you can buy your own for the next batch. If you don't like brewing, your aren't out anything and don't have unwanted equipment sitting around.

I'm not necessarily convinced that this is true. My impression is that most people do 5-gallon batches.

My advice to the OP is to find a friend who already brews, borrow the equipment, and get an extract kit (perhaps with specialty grains). Brewing from the extract kit should be straightforward. As for the equipment, if you like brewing you can buy your own for the next batch. If you don't like brewing, your aren't out anything and don't have unwanted equipment sitting around.

No, I mean most people who brew 10 gallons at a time don't' ferment in 10 gallon fermenters, they split the batch into 2 five gallon fermenters.

Most people brew 5 gallons at a time.

I've found that a kit to start is a good way to make sure that the new brewer has everything he or she needs to get a taste for home brewing at a low cost. As has been said before if you have a friend who brews, brewing with he or she would be a really good way to figure out how much you want to invest. Also, the one thing you need more than anything is a good book to guide you. I recommend "the joy of homebrewing" or "how to brew."

Latest posts

Back