Kit help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoutman82

Reaction score
Ok so I've made this kit before but this time I want to modify it some. It's the coopers Australian pale ale. Last time I added about 2.5 pounds of honey to it which turned out great and I'm doing again. But I'd like to add some complexity to it using French oak chips which ive got but what would be the best way to add them to the kit I was thinking boil make tea then pour tea in and add the chips in a muslin bag? I also have some left over citra hops from another brew would there be any way to incorporate those instead if possible? Thanks and cheers!

I don't think I'd put Citra in with the oak chips. I wondered if it might produce a funky flavor between the strong citrus flavors of Citra hops,& the French oak woody qualities.?...

Honey drys out your beer so 2.5 lbs in a 5 gallon batch of stout sounds like way too much. I'd make the same batch but just add extra malt extract in place of the honey and I'd be willing to bet you like it better that way. Honey is just expensive simple sugar. If you're lucky you'll get mild floral notes but those are going to be nearly impossible to detect against the bitterness of the dark roasted malts in a stout, so you might as well be adding corn sugar for much cheaper.

He's not making stout. He's brewing the cooper's Australian pale ale kit with additions. But,making a tea out of the French oak chips in a very small sauce pan is one way folks do it. Just boil'em till you start seeing some brown in the water. Like when brewing the typical cut black/orange pekoe tea. I want to try a few variations on that theme myself. I'd def bag the chips to avoid any floaters after poring the liquid through the hop sack into the FV. And don't throw those chips away after bottling/racking! They're great on top of the coals in the BBQ! Especially if you soaked them in whiskey 1st.

Yeah I figured I'd use one or the other with the chips and hops otherwise there would be wayyyyy to much going on.

He's not making stout. He's brewing the cooper's Australian pale ale kit with additions. But,making a tea out of the French oak chips in a very small sauce pan is one way folks do it. Just boil'em till you start seeing some brown in the water. Like when brewing the typical cut black/orange pekoe tea. I want to try a few variations on that theme myself. I'd def bag the chips to avoid any floaters after poring the liquid through the hop sack into the FV. And don't throw those chips away after bottling/racking! They're great on top of the coals in the BBQ! Especially if you soaked them in whiskey 1st.

Ahh, I missed that. I thought it was the beer in his link. I still wouldn't add 2.5 lbs of honey though.

Latest posts

Back