Kids and Brewing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my kids sort of help me brew sometime

my daughter actually wants to help as long as I'm brewing outside - she doesnt like the smell and she'll complain about it if I brew in the kitchen though

but she likes to help, she wants to stir, toss the hops in and stuff like that -- and she likes to help with the mashing part too and loves to make dog cookies

My 10-year old daughter has been helping for a few years now.

She loves the chemistry, and won't let anyone else turn the crank on the grain-mill.

On the same note, I let my kid have a sip once in a while, especially when I have a really hoppy beer or really stouty beer. He grimmaces (sp?) and then smiles and says, "It's good." I think he's trying to make me happy by saying he likes it, lol. I gave my 18 month old a sip of a hoppy beer once and he tried to grab the bottle out of my hand to drink more. That was the last time he got a sip, and I have a feeling I'm going to have to watch him more during his teenage years :D

This sounds like me. All mine have been offered right down to the three year old. Not that they really care for it, but the mystery has been unveiled and now there is no need to put locks on my faucets.

......I have found the less fuss you make about something, the less deviate curiousity a child develops about it. Sadly I have family members and friends that think Beer (or any wine of spirit) are sinful......

You are exactly right. Also, I have Baptists in my family as well, so I understand what you mean. :D It really torks them when I start talking the wine they drank during communion in the bible. I always get, "It is only called wine. It is really just grape juice and totally non-alcoholic."
Just point out where John chastised the church of Ephesis for some of its members getting intoxicated during communion on the communal wine. It is pretty difficult to get hammered from grape juice.

My daughter is learning "Quality over quantity"

My goal exactly.

I have two girls,ages 5 and 8. they are not allowed to help when the keggle is on the burner,but they do get to help. I tell my girls when they get better at math they can help me with my recipies. and when they get older they will be beer snobs. just let some punk pull out a case of natty lite at a party.
:tank:

I think this is hilarious!

No seriously if I had kids I would definitely let them help me and would be proud and not ashamed at all. I could see how them talking about helping you brew to others might come across weird but people can think what they want. Those same people probably think that homebrew will make you go blind, cut off your ears, and kill your neighbors because you thought your dog told you to. Drink up kids..... daddy needs some help burying the nosy neighbors!

I have a question. Is it legal for someone under 21 to buy brewing supplies. It's simply hypothetical but something I think about when I walk into the brew shop for ingredients. Surely they can get yeast, grain, hops and water somewhere. Whether they have the knowledge, money or patience to do it is another thing.

Just looking out for all those underage kids thinking about making jail hooch. It's all about the kids......

I have a question. Is it legal for someone under 21 to buy brewing supplies. It's simply hypothetical but something I think about when I walk into the brew shop for ingredients. Surely they can get yeast, grain, hops and water somewhere. Whether they have the knowledge, money or patience to do it is another thing.

Just looking out for all those underage kids thinking about making jail hooch. It's all about the kids......

I think it depends on what state you are in. I wont say for sure but it would make sense that it would be okay. They are not buying alcohol just the ingredients.

As for me, I wish someone ANYONE in my family would like to help. Maybe one day when I have kids then I can have some family time...gotta get the man first though.

For me its pretty sad that my kids will help... but the wifey... she absolutely refuses.. that is until I get her involved in some fruity beers (i'm thinking a framboise or something) that she would be interested in drinking. Wifey would rather sit on the couch and watch The Hills or some other God awful show out there ... i'm confused ... to me making beer almost trumps going to work...

In fact I think the only reason I go to work instead of making beer is that if I don't go to work.. I don't have money to buy the supplies.. Oh well I guess I'll have to come up with some way to make money off of making beer.. wonder why no one's ever thought of that before :)

I made a couple of batches of cheap apple wine from sugar, apple juice and regular baking yeast when I was 19, but even a five year old could do that. Sure, it tasted like crap, but it got me drunk.

By the way, I started my first brew a few days before my 21st birthday. But the drinking age in Sweden is 18 for bars and 20 for buying stuff in stores, so it didn't matter.

This sounds like me. All mine have been offered right down to the three year old. Not that they really care for it, but the mystery has been unveiled and now there is no need to put locks on my faucets.

It's not my kids I'm going to be worried about. It's their jackass friends.

(A while ago I saw someone post a link to a computer-based system for allowing/disallowing beer from a draft based on card inputs. I might tinker with that when the time comes, but since my son only recently developed the ability to hear and won't actually be in diapers for five more months, I figure I have some time ;))

but since my son only recently developed the ability to hear and won't actually be in diapers for five more months, I figure I have some time ;))

At first I thought! OMG what's wrong with him, NA dwhy can't he wear diapers yet! Ding Ding! Congrats. Mine will be 1 year old in 8 days and I can't freaking believe it.

Back