Kids, an amusing reason we don't drink and brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Made my tried and true altbier recipe yesterday. Made it more than two dozen times before, everything was going great. I got a bit cocky, and started hydrating a bit too early in the process (Jack's Abby Blood Orange Wheat, times, um, let's just say, "n").

Long story longer, I measured OG with refractometer for an equivalent 1.047. Measured with old simple hydrometer and got 1.048. Then I opened another beer and put in my fancy schmancy expanded range, easy to ready, Williams hydrometer.

And it basically floated on the top, not sinking at all in the hydromter jar, mocking my addled brain, fairly laughing at my bewildered incompetence. Sadly it took me more than a couple minutes of inspecting, detecting, projecting, and thinking all about the group W bench before I realized what was happening.

Moral of the story is to keep what little wits that age and overindulgence allow you to have about you, and don't go using your fancy schmacy FINISH GRAVITY hydrometer, when you think you're using the OG one.

Carry on. We return you to whatever passes for normal viewing.

Back