Kettle vs. Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KafkasRevenge

Reaction score
So, I'm looking to upgrade from 5 gallon extract partial-boils to 5 gallon BIAB. I need to upgrade my brew kettle, and I found two used options near me. Which do you think would be the better buy?

1) Keggle with ball valve and thermometer

2) 10 gallon kettle with ball valve (I'm not sure if it's aluminum or stainless steel)

Both are listed at $100.

Thanks!

If you are going to do 10 gallon batches you need a pot bigger than 10 gallons, I have 3 keggles and I start with 12.5 gallons so I end up with 10.5-11 gallons before fermentation.

If you are going to do 10 gallons then the keggle is really your only option.

Edit: a keggle is 15.5 gallons.
Edit again: I just reread your post either is fine for 5 gallons but if you ever want to do 10 you will need the keggle.

I am upgrading from a 10 gallon kettle to a keggle for the extra space. Some beers I am just a touch over 8 gallons pre-boil, and boil overs are a battle. If cost is the same, always go bigger.

Pro: The keggle is heavier, which means it's more durable.
Con: The keggle is heavier, which means it cools slower.

A kettle is much easier to work with than a converted keg. Don't limit yourself to a 10G pot, though. Pick up a decent 15G kettle and you'll have it for years.

Keggle. 15 gallon pot vs 10 so you'll never have a boil over. You can mash more grains so you can make higher gravity beer. You can easily sell a keggle but a 10 gallon brew pot typically limits you to 10 gallons of either sparge water, 5 gallon boils or smaller mashes.

I would choose a kettle over keggle all day long, JMO. Perhaps a 50 qt would be a good size. Maybe buy the 10 gallon kettle "for the right price" and then resell it someday if and when you want to do 10 gallon batches.

New stainless 50 qt kettle $84 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Polishe...15126841?pt=Cookware&var=&hash=item20db1df439

He knows what he's talking about. If your going to do BIAB then get advise from someone that does it the way you want and has a proven history on the site. He wouldn't steer you wrong.

I have a single tier three Keggle direct fired pid controlled system. You will get boil overs with a Keggle when doing 10 gallon batches. Go as big as you can afford.

Both your $100 options are over priced. If you install the ports yourself, you can save yourself some money.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

I say kettle over keggle. Mostly because most keggles have shady sources! (I said most, not all...) If your budget has you looking at $100 kettles, check out Bayou Classic and convert one yourself with weldless fittings.

But, if you can swing a bit more cash, checkout Spike Brewing.

I think you'd be happier with one of Spike's kettles in the long run. I much prefer welded over weldless fittings!

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I ended up picking up the 10 gallon kettle with ball valve for $90. Did I overpay?

I bought a 15.5 keg(40 bucks) and converted it to a keggle. The opening is 11 inches diameter and my immersion cooler was 11.5 inches in diameter, so I had to re shape the copper coils, was a pain in the ass. Plus, with all the metal in a keg. it takes a long time to get it mash temp and or a boil. So I bought a 15 gallon pot.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I ended up picking up the 10 gallon kettle with ball valve for $90. Did I overpay?

Dont know much about the kettle you bought but it sounds like a good price for a 10G kettle that already has a ball valve. I'm guessing that it's either used or aluminum.

So, without any other info I'd say you didn't overpay.

Back