Historical Beer: Lichtenhainer Kettle Sour Lichtenhainer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

universalfrost

Keep your stick on the ice.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast - Belgian Saison 3724
Yeast Starter
1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
My take on a traditional version I've had multiple times when i lived in Germany, but i ditched the smoked malt(s).

Title: Kettle Sour Lichtenhainer
Author: Joe

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Lichtenhainer
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.034
Efficiency: 80% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (standard): 4.23%
IBU (tinseth): 7.56
SRM (morey): 5.87

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - German - Vienna (53.3%)
2.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (33.3%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 20L (13.3%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 7.56

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Fly Sparge, Temp: 148 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 6.3 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Mango Goodbelly, Time: 4320 min, Type: Other, Use: Other
50 g - Sea Salt, Time: 10 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
15 g - Ground coriander , Time: 1 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - Belgian Saison 3724
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 78%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 70 - 95 F
Fermentation Temp: 66 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Balanced Profile
Ca2: 80
Mg2: 5
Na: 25
Cl: 75
SO4: 80
HCO3: 100
Water Notes:

NOTES:
Mango GoodBelly whole large bottle @100 degrees for 3 days.

This recipe has been published online at:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/651920/kettle-sour-lichtenhainer

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2018-05-16 14:36 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2018-05-16 14:36 UTC

if you read the history not all breweries used the smoked malts. you can throw in half a pound or 1lb of smoked malts to this and reduce some of the two row (also the modern versions that are similar to the historical recipes tend to use 6 row)... smoked and sour just isn't my thing...

some versions have wheat and I also have almost identical recipe for that, just more pils and/or Vienna with some red or white wheat and use a European ale yeast. One of my go to Brauhaus's in Germany makes both a smoked and un-smoked version.

That's interesting to know. I couple of months ago I had a sour that was aged in peat barrels that made a very interesting flavor that my wife and I enjoyed so I started looking for recipes. I plan on adding peaches to half of it to see what that brings.

also you can use perle instead of mosaic... i ran out of perle once and used mosaic and it turned out great so i stick with mosaic...

some peated malt would probably do the trick for you.. maybe half a pound at most because it can get overpowering if you use too much.

Yeah there's really no basis for calling this a lichtenhainer in my opinion.

http://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/27/27A/historical-beer-lichtenhainer/

When I saw the name "Lichtenhainer" in the thread, I googled it to find what separated this beer from a Gose is smoked malts. Still has the low IBU's, kettle soured with lactobacillus, salt, coriander.....all the same except the smoked malts. Omitting the smoked malts, it appears, leaves us with a standard Gose with a heavy hand on the salt.

When I saw the name "Lichtenhainer" in the thread, I googled it to find what separated this beer from a Gose is smoked malts. Still has the low IBU's, kettle soured with lactobacillus, salt, coriander.....all the same except the smoked malts. Omitting the smoked malts, it appears, leaves us with a standard Gose with a heavy hand on the salt.
Where are you seeing that Lichtenhainer has salt and coriander?

To me, even besides the lack of smoke which is a defining attribute, this recipe looks like a hodgepodge containing many elements not fit for this style: the crystal malt, lack of wheat, Belgian saison yeast, mosaic hops for flavor, and the spices.

I would have added the NaCl to the water profile.

I'm sounding critical... but I have no problem with the recipe, just the purported style. It's totally fine to invent your own style of beer :)

Where are you seeing that Lichtenhainer has salt and coriander?

:)

I saw the style uses smoked malts, then saw the OP had salt and coriander in his recipe. Taking a second look at recipes online, I see no salt or coriander in any of the recipes I glanced at.

EDIT

**Actually I did find what I posted about online. On Brewers Friend there are the Top Ten Lichtenhainer Recipes listed. The one called Kettle Sour Lichtenhainer calls for salt and coriander. The amounts were the same as the OP posted, so it may be he cobbled together a recipe with at least some of these ingredients.

Last edited:
Back