Kettle size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey61753

Reaction score
Moving to biab from partial extract. What is the best sized kettle to buy to do full boil 2.5 - 3 gal brews. Thanks in advance.

2.5 to 3 gallon batches would be suited to a 5-7 gallon ketttle, larger end of that spectrum if you are looking to do high gravity beers and not sparge.

5 gallon kettle at a minimum, and perhaps a sparge for big beers with the 5 gallon kettle.

I do 2 gal batches in HD's 2 gal paint buckets. Usually have 3 gal or less in the mashtun. I use a 5 gal boil pot. You be safer w/a 6.

I used to brew 3 gal batches. I bought a 10 gal kettle as I figured I would eventually increase to 5 gallons. A 10 gal kettle is over kill for 3 gallons but it works for full volume mashes.
I now brew 5 gallon batches and a 10 gal kettle is pushing it.
If you think you will brew 5 gallons go with a 10 gal kettle

Apologize if this is off topic

Just curious why do you guys do 2-3 gallon batches instead of 5?

Some of the reasons I’ve heard:

Low consumption
Smaller batches / more variety
Indoor winter stovetop brewing
Easier w less equipment investment
Recipe experiments
Less heavy lifting
Quicker than large batches
Or all SWMBO permits lol jk

To what Wilser said I'd add:

Indoor summer stovetop brewing when temperatures top 100+ for people living in Texas and other hot areas

The 5 gallon pot I got early on in my days doing extract and partial extract has worked for me doing 2.5 and some 3 gallon batches.

For me it was because wife hasn't yet ventured in the craft scene. She will sample some of my brews but she likes to brink beer with no taste (AKA Ultra). All my friends stick to BL or CL.
Since I now have a keezer, I brew 5 gal batches now. Only problem is it takes me a while to drink so my brewing has been cut in half.

Since I now have a keezer, I brew 5 gal batches now. Only problem is it takes me a while to drink so my brewing has been cut in half.

Somehow I have a hard time keeping two different brews on tap and I brew 10-15G batches..
:rolleyes:

Because I'm the main drinker and I like something different each day. Don't want to store 50 bottles of this and 50 of that and 50 of something else to get to my "different" stage. 2 gallons give me 3 six packs.

As noted above, 5 is min. 6 or 7 safer if you wanna do big beers or long boils. I just bought a 26qt concord kettle off ebay. Sturdy, has a basket, induction compatible, and taller than it is wide. Half batches are easy in this sucker.

I love the 100 degree Texas summers, especially when I’m around 212 degree boiling water, lol

I get all the reasons

Thanks for sharing

Ideally a 6 or 7 gallon kettle but those don't seem to exist. I have a 5 gallon for indoor stovetop BIAB and an 8 gallon for outdoor with a propane burner. 1.050ish session beers are doable in the 5 gallon. For an IPA I used a pound of DME at knockout to boost the OG.

Just to add another answer, I do 3.5 gal batches usually, biab full volume, stove top, with an 8 gallon pot.

It's more than enough room, so I could do a big beer or a slightly larger batch (but 3.5 gal is my happy place), and the kettle fits in my oven, something I take advantage of to help hold temperature for the mash.

I just did a 2.5G 1.059 OG with 5.35lbs of grain in a 5 gallon pot and it took it almost all the way to the top with a full water mash. Granted you could hold some of the water and do a sparge and I'd probably do that next time but it worked.

I have been doing 2.5 gallon batches in a 5 gallon pot. I am going to try a 3 gallon batch with a 5lb grain bill - I would not do any larger though as all calculators that I have used said larger grain bills put be right up at 4.8ish gallons with grain in. Too close for me.

I brew 2.5 gallon BIAB batches with a 5 gallon pot. I typically run grain bills in the 4 - 7 lb neighborhood, mash somewhere between 1 - 2 qts/lb, and batch sparge with just my DHW @ 130F to get to my pre-boil volume, usually 3.5 gallons. Last I checked I was getting over 80% using the Brewer's Friend efficiency calculator. The 5 gallon pot is a perfect size for this, and still fits in my kitchen cabinet.

I'm planning on experimenting soon with more water in the mash because even @ 2 qts/lb I have a good amount of head space in the pot and end up loosing about 4 - 5 degrees F over an hour mash. Never has been an issue in the final product, but would be interesting to see first hand if less head space does result in less heat loss.

I brew 2.5 gallon BIAB batches with a 5 gallon pot. I typically run grain bills in the 4 - 7 lb neighborhood, mash somewhere between 1 - 2 qts/lb, and batch sparge with just my DHW @ 130F to get to my pre-boil volume, usually 3.5 gallons. Last I checked I was getting over 80% using the Brewer's Friend efficiency calculator. The 5 gallon pot is a perfect size for this, and still fits in my kitchen cabinet.

I'm planning on experimenting soon with more water in the mash because even @ 2 qts/lb I have a good amount of head space in the pot and end up loosing about 4 - 5 degrees F over an hour mash. Never has been an issue in the final product, but would be interesting to see first hand if less head space does result in less heat loss.

Unless you are certain that the falling temperature during the mash affected your beer negatively, I wouldn't worry much about it. If your grain is crushed well most of the conversion is done within 30 minutes.

Unless you are certain that the falling temperature during the mash affected your beer negatively, I wouldn't worry much about it. If your grain is crushed well most of the conversion is done within 30 minutes.

Thanks, yeah, not too worried. More out of a heat transfer curiosity than anything else. My efficiencies, when I remember to pay attention to them, have always been fine.

Buying a kettle (size) is like buying a truck with high horsepower: Its better to have it and not use it, than need it and not have it.

When I started brewing I was darn sure I'd only do small batches. I was wrong. Now I am doing 11G batches to fill two soda kegs per brew. I didn't have the wisdom nor vision when I first started to know where my journey would lead me, but we have to make decisions somewhere and go for it.

It is not out of the realm of reason that a 10G kettle is sort of a semi-universal size. It works for small batches and up to 5.5G batches work just fine in this size for BIAB. Just saying that even though you may not think so today, tomorrow may be a different need.

Back