Kettle insulation on gas stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killer_Robot

Reaction score
I just got a new 8 gallon pot to replace one of my 6 gallons so I can easily boil 6 or 6.5 gallons. Problem is, between the greater size and the new one being short and wide rather than narrow and tall it doesn't seem to boil as intensely even with two burners of my apartment stove, and I ended up losing less volume than I planed. Still within a reasonable OG, but if I do any future high gravity beers where I have to lose a couple gallons in boil it might take forever.

So, I was looking at making a Reflectix wrap or similar for my pot to speed boil and keep it more intense. Has anyone successfully done this with a gas stove? If so, anything I should keep in mind? If it helps, the pot sticks out wider than the actual flame on either side, so it's not like they'll be right under any insulation.

I really wouldn't want to deal with reflectix on a kettle on top of a stove. A heat-stick is a cheap/easy solution...

Thanks for the hints. I'll look into that. Some other research suggested plain aluminum foil wraps or welding blankets or similar too, which I might look at first since really I just need a bit extra.

Back