Kettle Fabrication/modification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKOriginal

Reaction score
BLUF: Has anyone taken kettles to have them modified by professionals and what was the cost?

I bought a full brew system via craigslist and it is boss. All SS and triclamp and automated. Sick sick sick. Anywho, the seller was a small scale brewer, like 3 gallon batches. His (my) MLT is 8 gallons and his (my) boil kettle is only six gallons. Needless to say, to do a 5.25 post boil gallon batch comfortably, I need to increase the size of the vessels. To do big beers the MLT needs to increase in volume.

I currently have a 10 gallon blichmann G1 which I could have drilled and welded with tri clamps to meet my specifications. I could also attempt to resell the G1 and buy a custom kettle via Spike or other company.

I'm honestly looking for ideas to increase the volume in the most affordable way. Resale on my kettles (the six and eight gallon pots) will be minimal because they are custom niche welded with tri-clamps and fitted for my system. They are about as heavy as they come though.

experience and input is appreciated.

Knowing the system volumes and the fact that it doesn't meet your needs.......why did you buy it?

That aside, cost will vary from shop to shop. So will the actual end result of said shops work. Finding a weldor that does good quality work can be difficult.

Great question. I found an item at a price that was really too good to pass up. Even with two brand new 20 gallon modified spike kettles I will have walked away ahead of what it would cost me to build. That said thanks for recommendation I'm searching my area for a decent shop. Just kind of hoping someone had had a kettle modified recently and was like "yeah it cost me $35 dollars to drill and tig a tc ferral on"

Sure, I understand.

Good luck to you. I hope you find a good shop that treats you right.

Back