Kettle bag scorch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisbrewbeers

Reaction score
So I brewed and the brewbag kettle spider bag melted some because I'm an idiot and I was in a hurry. The batch looks darker than should. I'm wondering if it is still safe. There was even about 4 gal in kettle before I turned it on to get head start.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1487965885.452262.jpg
This is a picture of it, the black is just coffee grinds because it was in trash can. This actually happened during last 15 of boil. It must have got caught between chiller and side of kettle. I had a brain malfunction yesterday about when it happened. I don't think too many chemicals would have been released myself but if anyone knows any different. I just ordered a few Wilser bags.

View attachment 390272
This is a picture of it, the black is just coffee grinds because it was in trash can. This actually happened during last 15 of boil. It must have got caught between chiller and side of kettle. I had a brain malfunction yesterday about when it happened. I don't think too many chemicals would have been released myself but if anyone knows any different. I just ordered a few Wilser bags.

Are you doing the full boil with a chiller in the kettle?

Just for future reference there is no reason to boil your chiller for 15 minutes. At boiling temps pasteurization happens in seconds.

Just for future reference there is no reason to boil your chiller for 15 minutes. At boiling temps pasteurization happens in seconds.

Makes sense, I had a series of infections awhile back from just sanitizing it and putting it in at flameout I guess. Since I started adjusting ph with acid and some acid malt that chiller has been totally clean and shiny and has stayed that way.

Latest posts

Back